Thread: Renaming files with TSQL

Renaming files with TSQL

I want to be able to rename a file in a specific folder using TSQL or a stored procedure.

More generically, I want to be able to perform file operations (i.e. renaming, copying, deleting etc.) at the OS level using TSQL.

Is there a stored procedure or other command in TSQL that facilitates this?

Use xp_cmdshell. This allows you to run any command that you can run from a DOS command prompt.

But you need to have permission to run xp_cmdshell usually reserved for sysadmin role only.

Unfortunately, I will need all users to be able to run the process that will perform the file operations.

I think I can work around this though if I can figure out how to call a very simple DTS package from a stored procedure. The package had no security requirements or parameters; it simply needs to execute.

Have you any advice for calling such a DTS package from a stored proc?

why can't the users run the DTS package using a vbscript or DTSrun utility or from a web page?

Neither VB or a Web page is part of the picture. I need to learn more about the DTSRun utility.

That's where I'll look.

Thank you.

Though it is a security hole, you can grant execute privilege on xp_cmdshell to users.