Thread: ASPdb, Access 2000, MSDE, and SQL?

Ted Moore Guest

ASPdb, Access 2000, MSDE, and SQL?

Dear ASPdb Forum,

I have been thinking of upscaling my Access 97 db to MS-SQL. Now, I have found that Access 2000 has features which allow better integration with SQL. For starters, DBs can be created/saved with with the MS Data Engine (MSDE) instead of the Access Jet.

My goal is to be able to continually make changes to the structure of the db using Access locally, but have it able to run with SQL on the server. Can they work with the same file, or is there an intermediate transition that needs to be made?

I am having trouble finding information regarding this issue of integrating Access and SQL. For example, if I update the database (?.mdb) and save with the MSDE , then upload to the server, can it run on SQL (as is)?

And how is ASPdb affected by all this? Does ASPdb think Access 2000 with MSDE is SQL?

For all I know, keeping it in Access 2000 with the new MSDE may be sufficient. I would appreciate your input on this.

Thanks in advance,
    Ted Moore trm@heminet.com

Frank Guest

ASPdb, Access 2000, MSDE, and SQL? (reply)

The only way to find out is to try it. If the Jet and SQL engine doesn't work then we have to wait for MS to release a new driver. Logically, the SQL driver should work. The file extension of the Access file might give some clue. What is the extension after this upsize ?

FK

------------
    Ted Moore at 1/11/00 3:23:32 PM

Dear ASPdb Forum,

I have been thinking of upscaling my Access 97 db to MS-SQL. Now, I have found that Access 2000 has features which allow better integration with SQL. For starters, DBs can be created/saved with with the MS Data Engine (MSDE) instead of the Access Jet.

My goal is to be able to continually make changes to the structure of the db using Access locally, but have it able to run with SQL on the server. Can they work with the same file, or is there an intermediate transition that needs to be made?

I am having trouble finding information regarding this issue of integrating Access and SQL. For example, if I update the database (?.mdb) and save with the MSDE , then upload to the server, can it run on SQL (as is)?

And how is ASPdb affected by all this? Does ASPdb think Access 2000 with MSDE is SQL?

For all I know, keeping it in Access 2000 with the new MSDE may be sufficient. I would appreciate your input on this.

Thanks in advance,
    Ted Moore trm@heminet.com