Thread: PLEASE HELP WITH SQL PROBLEM

Alonzo Hess Jr Guest

PLEASE HELP WITH SQL PROBLEM

I came in this morning to find that "MY" SQL database had a problem. My database thats called "OTG" was labeled as "suspect". After scambling around I found that the tapedrive eat the backup tape from over the weekend. The last dump that I did on this database was 3/9/2000. The otgdata.dat and otglog.dat are still intact in the MSSQL/data directory. Is there a way to roll forward or commit transactions that happened after 3/9/2000? This is used in a document imageing enviroment and I still have all the images on the server's harddrive. Sorry if I left anything out, my brain is fried at this point.

Ray Miao Guest

PLEASE HELP WITH SQL PROBLEM (reply)

Call Microsoft before getting worse.

------------
    Alonzo Hess Jr at 3/20/00 3:15:56 PM

I came in this morning to find that "MY" SQL database had a problem. My database thats called "OTG" was labeled as "suspect". After scambling around I found that the tapedrive eat the backup tape from over the weekend. The last dump that I did on this database was 3/9/2000. The otgdata.dat and otglog.dat are still intact in the MSSQL/data directory. Is there a way to roll forward or commit transactions that happened after 3/9/2000? This is used in a document imageing enviroment and I still have all the images on the server's harddrive. Sorry if I left anything out, my brain is fried at this point.

Alonzo Hess Jr Guest

------------
    Ray Miao at 3/20/00 4:39:53 PM

Not really the answer I was looking for Ray. I restored from the dump but I want to know, since I still have all the data, if it's possible to restore from 3/9/2000.

------------

Manoj Guest

If the files are intact and problem was only due to the tape drive, what I suggest is that
    you resolve the tape drive problem and simply restart the SQL Server (this is assuming that
    you haven't already overwritten the db with the old backup.

also before doing anything to the database you need to backup the transaction log with "no truncate" option.
    this is the first thing you should have done to your db after detecting the problem.

------------
    Alonzo Hess Jr at 3/21/00 7:38:11 AM

------------
    Ray Miao at 3/20/00 4:39:53 PM

Not really the answer I was looking for Ray. I restored from the dump but I want to know, since I still have all the data, if it's possible to restore from 3/9/2000.

------------