Thread: Restore a Backup into a new Database with different path on the devices

Andres Sanchez Guest

Restore a Backup into a new Database with different path on the devices

Hi, I've to restore a bk into a new DB, because the old one has a lot of devices created on different places and phisical disks.
    Im not sure to do that, cause Ive heard some problems with this action.

The old Db has 10 devices of data and 10 devices of log, and I want to create only one device of data (sum of all the data devices) and only one device of log (sum of all log devices)
    Is it possible or not?

Tnx a lot!

himaushu Guest

Restore a Backup into a new Database with different path on the devices (reply)

------------
    Andres Sanchez at 3/11/99 9:47:18 AM

Hi, I've to restore a bk into a new DB, because the old one has a lot of devices created on different places and phisical disks.

The old Db has 10 devices of data and 10 devices of log, and I want to create only one device of data (sum of all the data devices) and only one device of log (sum of all log devices)
    Is it possible or not?

Tnx a lot!

-----

What you are doing is surely possible, but hey man since the data devices are currently on different disks so is it possible for you to allocate the space for a data device in a single device on the same drive. If the space equal to sum of all is available to you, you can certainly go ahead and do what you want to.

currently they are placed separately maybe because the space required cannot be allocated in a single data device.

Take care. Get back if you are not clear with this.

Adois.

Kenneth Wilhelmsson Guest

Restore a Backup into a new Database with different path on the devices (reply)

Nope! You can definetly NOT do that!
    Well, not so easily anyway. You can put them on a single db device and a single log device on one physical disk, but this is what you have to look out for:
    The dump is in reality a long chain of datapages linked after one and another.
    First there's data pages for as long as the first datadevice was specified, then comes some log pages, then more log pages, if the third device was specified as a logdevice, otherwise there's data pages, and so on and on for the full 20.

You must create your new db and log devices in the exact order and sizes as contained in the dumpfile, or you will get some very nasty errors. If you don't do that, you'll get datapages on the logdevice and vice versa.

Your new db devices must match the data-log sequences of your dumpfile.

/Kenneth

------------
    himaushu at 3/11/99 10:05:00 AM

------------
    Andres Sanchez at 3/11/99 9:47:18 AM

Is it possible or not?

Tnx a lot!

-----

What you are doing is surely possible, but hey man since the data devices are currently on different disks so is it possible for you to allocate the space for a data device in a single device on the same drive. If the space equal to sum of all is available to you, you can certainly go ahead and do what you want to.

currently they are placed separately maybe because the space required cannot be allocated in a single data device.

Take care. Get back if you are not clear with this.

Adois.