Thread: SQL Server reports incorrect "Data Space Available"

Jimmy Jen Guest

SQL Server reports incorrect "Data Space Available"

Thanks for anybody that can help me with this.

When I double click on a database in the Enterprise Manager and the "Database Space Available" (in the Database tab) always shows 0.00 MB even though there is space available. This only happens to one of our database. The data device is 1.8GB and log device is 360MB and I've allocated all the space from device to database.

We're using SQL Server 6.5 sp3 in NT 4.0 sp3.

Anybody knows why is SQL Server reporting 0.00MB when you know there is space avaialble. I need to know the data space available and log space available so that I can expand it when the space runs low. Please help.

Thank you,
    Jimmy Jen

Andrew Guest

SQL Server reports incorrect "Data Space Available" (reply)

Those GUI windows don't always work like you want. Try using: sp_spaceused in ISQL, it too won't be exact, but it will show better than the GUI.

good luck!

------------
    Jimmy Jen at 3/11/99 10:06:15 AM

When I double click on a database in the Enterprise Manager and the "Database Space Available" (in the Database tab) always shows 0.00 MB even though there is space available. This only happens to one of our database. The data device is 1.8GB and log device is 360MB and I've allocated all the space from device to database.

Anybody knows why is SQL Server reporting 0.00MB when you know there is space avaialble. I need to know the data space available and log space available so that I can expand it when the space runs low. Please help.

Thank you,
    Jimmy Jen

Jimmy JEn Guest

Thanks for your help.

Jimmy
    ------------
    Andrew at 3/11/99 1:02:22 PM

Those GUI windows don't always work like you want. Try using: sp_spaceused in ISQL, it too won't be exact, but it will show better than the GUI.

good luck!

------------

Thank you,
    Jimmy Jen

Gregory Guest

1) try to use 'dbcc update usage' (or simply use optional parameter for sp_sapceused)
    2) I believe, SQL Server has known bug about reporting allocated/available space in database. check more on support.microsoft.com in KB.

------------

Thank you,
    Jimmy Jen