Thread: SQL Server log show that it's still full.

Sandy Guest

SQL Server log show that it's still full.

Hi All,

When I check the log from EM. It sows that it is full. I increased the size of the log(expand) and still not work. I dumped the transaction logs with nolog option this also does not work. Then I run
    dbcc checktable(syslogs) and still it is showing the same. When I ran the DBCC
    I got the follwing message.
    " Checking syslogs
    The total number of data pages in this table is 1.
    *** NOTICE: Notification of log space used/free cannot be reported because the log segment is not on its own device.
    Table has 18 data rows.
    DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, see your System Administrator "

Any idea how I can overcome this problem. My sql server version is 6.5.
    Also in the message what is the mean that log segment is not on ots own device.

Thanks
    Sandy

Ray Miao Guest

SQL Server log show that it's still full. (reply)

Did you try 'dump log ... with truncate_only'?

------------
    Sandy at 4/24/01 2:24:03 PM

Hi All,

When I check the log from EM. It sows that it is full. I increased the size of the log(expand) and still not work. I dumped the transaction logs with nolog option this also does not work. Then I run
    " Checking syslogs
    *** NOTICE: Notification of log space used/free cannot be reported because the log segment is not on its own device.
    Table has 18 data rows.
    DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, see your System Administrator "

Thanks
    Sandy

Sandy Guest

Thanks Ray for quick response.
    I dumpped the transaction log with noinit and no_log. I didn't try with truncate_only. should I try with this one.

Sandy

------------
    Ray Miao at 4/24/01 4:29:52 PM

------------

Hi All,

" Checking syslogs
    Table has 18 data rows.

Thanks
    Sandy

Sundar Guest

Sounds like your log device and data device are the one and same. The usual tradition is to create a data device and a seperate log device, performance is always better in this configuration. Use sp_help_revdatabase to see what the database was created.

As for the log space try running DBCC update usage, this may report a more accurate reading. Use sp_spaceused rather than EM, EM is just untrustworthy.

------------
    Sandy at 4/25/01 12:29:07 PM

Thanks Ray for quick response.
    I dumpped the transaction log with noinit and no_log. I didn't try with truncate_only. should I try with this one.

Sandy

------------
    Ray Miao at 4/24/01 4:29:52 PM

------------

Hi All,

" Checking syslogs
    Table has 18 data rows.

Thanks
    Sandy