Originally posted by MAK
Very few companies have a staging database (ETLed) database and then a data warehouse.
Hi MAK,

Came across your quoted reply and wanted to request if based on your experience you'd kindly share why thisis the case. Though I am in the early stages and am learning but I have a FEELING that i too fall under this category i.e. not having a separate staging area (database). Maybe this is becuase my concepts are not clear. I just thought that what staging area is all about is that you bring in all the data from your OLTP (or whatever) into a separate database, then do the cleaning up etc. and creating views in this data base, and then use the results of this database (which I think is the staging area) for the next step i.e. creating the dimensions and the cubes....

A related question is that what I am doing is that I have defined nice andcleanviews in my OLTP which provide me with the required data. I just bring the data into my database (which I have beenreferring to as my datamart ratherthan a staging area) andam doingthe next steps from there...

Assuming that my questions are clear, can you kindly comment on my approach and give me a feeler regarding if i need to take a different route or clear up my understanding....

Will really appreciate your reply and happy holidays to everyone.

Regards.