Thread: Categories and Subcategories

Categories and Subcategories

I am trying to construct a database with Access 2002 to keep articles from a magazine to a usable archive.
    Each articles has to be in a Category. Each category has many subcategories.

My problem is that when I insert a new article in the database I have to choose between all the subcategories even though i already selected a category.

Is there a way to see only the appropriate subcategories for each category i choose during the data entry?

Is it the relations between the tables Categories and Subcategories?

Thank you

do you have a common field that links the 2 tables such as categoryID ?

how are you inserting a new article in the database ? with a form ?

Do you need to filter the subcategories based on a category that is entered ?

The common field between tables Categories and Subcategoris is called Category.

I use a form to enter Articles.

Yes, I want to filter subcategories when I insert a new Article in the database, in order to be able to choose between them according to the Category already chosen.

Attached a similar database.
    Attached Files Attached Files

AfterUpdate Event

I downloaded your file and noticed some interesting naming conventions, I suspect that since I am still using 2000 it may be a lack of backward compatibility.

I use a Category and Sub Category relationship in a Check Book Register the Sub Category Row Source is updated on the Categories AfterUpdate Event. In the property view of your Category Combo Box select the Event Tab and enter a "[" in the After Update field. You will note "[Event Procedure]" is automatically inserted press the "..." button to the right this will automatically create a sub routine header and footer.

Insert the following:

Dim strSQL as String

strSQL = "SELECT Category, SubCatName FROM SubCategories ORDER BY SubCatName"

Me!cboSubCatName.RowSource = strSQL
    Me!cboSubCatName.Requery

Please note that you may want to have both your Category and SubCatName as key fields in your table SubCategories. There may arise a situation where you have duplicate Sub Categories between different Categories, your current table setting will not allow for this.

Good Luck!

Thanks but...

a runtime error occured.

Run time error 2465
    cannot find cboSubCatName...

the error is in the line

Me!cboSubCatName.RowSource = strSQL

Substitute cboSubCatName with the name you have selected for your combo box, the file that I downloaded was some what encrypted (Backward compatability). I could not read the name you provided for your combo box.