Thread: Replication

Replication

I am new to SQL Server 2000. I am a DB2 DBA that is also responsible for SQL Server. Our company has 2 SQL Servers and they both were defined by systems group as 'local' servers. 1) Doesn't one the servers have to be defined as a 'remote' server?
    2) I am receiving a message'SQL Server Agent currently uses the system account which causes replication between servers to fail' when I try to configure the server.
    3) How do I define the servers as Publisher and Subscriber? Is this done doing installation?

1. Not sure what you meant.

2. SQL Server agent must be running with a domain account for replication to work. It seems it is running using local system account. You can change that by clicking on properties of SQL Server Agent in Enterprise Manager.

3. You can setup replication using Wizard. In Enterprise Manager click on you publication server and go to Tools menu on menu bar then go to Replication. You will find create publication option there.

1. You can't defind server itself as remote server, but you can type server name when register server in enterprise manager. And you can register both servers on your sql client pc.

2. Have to start sql agent service with domain account.

3. Configure replication in enterprise manager -> tools -> replication -> configure publishing, subscriber and distribution. You can find details in sql books online.