Thread: xp_cmdshell

xp_cmdshell

SQL 7.0
    I have given a non sa user permissions to run xp_cmdshell via his NT logon. When he runs it and does a "dir" of the server it works. When he trys to do a "dir" of his own machine it comes up with "Logon failure unknown user name or bad password".
    SQL Agent is running under a domain admin account. I have placed SQLAgentCmdExec in the servers local administrators group. I have de-selected the option from SQLAgent properties\Job System which restricts non sa users executing CmdExec stuff. I did attempt to Reset Proxy Account and Reset Proxy Password. When I clicked on these it just gave me message that the account and password had successfully been reset without asking me for username, password or domain.

You need to grant permission to the account in your machine. If it is a share then grant at least read permission. If it is not a share then you need to include the account in local admin group of your computer.

Since the use is not member of sql sysadmin, system runs xp_cmdshell under sql server's local account sqlagentcmdexec's credential which doesn't have permission on remote machine at all.

Yes, I have tried that and it still gives the error. How can I find out what account the SQLAgentCmdExec is running under? Is it the same account as SQLAgent? If so I don't understand why it isn't working because it is a domain admin account.

start - run - services.msc and scroll down to sqlserveragent and see the logon credential.

SQLAgentCmdExec is local account on sql server, not service. Which account the xp_cmdshell runs under depends on who calls xp_cmdshell. If called by member of sysadmin, it runs under sql service account. If called by non-sysadmin, it runs under SQLAgentCmdExec. Since SQLAgentCmdExec is local account, it has no permission on remote machine. That means non-sysadmin user can't access remote machine with xp_cmdshell.