Thread: Managing MS Access Database on Web Server

Unhappy Managing MS Access Database on Web Server

Hi,
    I'm new here so excuse my misdeeds. i have a large database file (42.4mb) as part a web application that i need to manage - make changes, append data, etc. My Windows2000-based hosting service provides a virtual server which i manage using Terminal Server. The problem is each time i make chnages it takes quite a long time to upload and download the whole database using a dialup connection. I asked my host to install MS Access on the server and this was the reply:
    It is not recommended to do that. It can cause problems for with ASP
    pages that talk to databases. When you install Access it will install
    certain data connectivity components that sometimes are not compatible
    with certain web pages and applications.
    Is this true? What options do I have? Thank you

True.

When you install MS-Access it also installs updates MDAC which might not be compatible to the MDAC they have in production.

Choices
    1. you dont have to download and upload the database. You can use VNC or teminal server. However it will be slow in a dialup

2. You can update you dialup to DSL or Cable modem

3. You can go to the server location and work on the server for maintaining the database.

4. Change MS-Access to some RDBMS databases so that you can maintain easily.

5. Create a webpage for your access database (like admin page) and you can maintain directly using the URL.

Thanks. Will do the last two probably. Figured out that I could write an ASP to update the records but will probably move to SQL 2000. Best regards