Thread: MS Access -Document Tracking db - cycles

Question MS Access -Document Tracking db - cycles

I am creating a Document Release Tracking db in which new documents are entered, and tracked through a review or sign-off process. The db contains authorized signature info (associated with various projects) for each drawing. If the reviewer/signer does not complete their part within certain timelines, reminder emails are distributed. Question: If one document can go through the tracking cyle twice (once for review, once for sign-off) - how do I create a table that will house both sets of data under the same doc id#? Do I create two tables (Review and Sign-Off) with the same data (i.e. doc #s) in them? - Don't see how this will work. Need guidance (if my explanation makes any sense).

How about adding a cycle indicator column which indicates whether the row is for review or sign off.

So, there will be two rows per doc ID# with a specification in the cycle indicator column whether it's R (review) or S (sign-off)? I assume then that I can't assign the doc ID# as the primary key if it's going to show up twice?

(Thanks for your help, by the way).

PK can be a composite key with docid and cycleidicator.

Or you may use another identity column as PK