Thread: Mysql

Mysql

i need write a Feasibility report about MySQL
    Easy of use?
    Cost?
    Development speed?
    Features

One of the most difficult concepts must be the 'ease of use' concept. People told me MS SQL Server 2000 is 'easy to learn'. Well, I have being using MySQL for at least 4 years now, and I can tell you - it's WAY easier then MS SQL Server - from a beginner point of view. The reason I say this is two fold:

1) Installation: on Linux, you can either use RPM or apt to install - this is a no-brainer. On Windows, the MySQL installer is pretty much like any other install - you can get away by just selectig all the defaults.

2) The first connect is mom-trivial. Just start a terminal/DOS box and type mysql + [ENTER]. That's it - your in. Ready to start with SQL statements.

Another big plus is the excellent documentation available. the MySQL tutorial will take you step by step through the creation of a database and the basic SQL queries you can do against the database. The online documentation is searchable, and I personally like the user comments feature.

As far as cost is concerned - it's flexable. For your personal or small business imediate needs, you can use the Open Source version. Enterprise has the option to purchase commercial support - which I hear is good ( no personal experience ).

MySQL has a lot of support in the various programming languages of the day, and it's really easy. The only thing developpers might find 'strange' in the beginning is that everything ( functions and stored procedures ) now happens application side. The database is used as a pure database - to store information, and give information if asked for. This feature is propably responsible for the speed that MySQL is known for. I know some old hands ( DBA's ) might find this a bit frustrating, but I really like it.

Features that I like include:

- Easy yet powerfull date and mathematical functions.
    - Great support for crypto fields
    - SPEED
    - OPEN SOURCE !

Cheers

thank you...

did any 1 can help me ...!!