Thread: Extracting data from a table for archiving purposes

Brian R Guest

Extracting data from a table for archiving purposes

Hello,

I have been placed in the position of administering our SQL server 6.5 (Microsoft). Being new to SQL and having some knowledge of databases (used to use Foxpro 2.6 for...DOS!) I am faced with an ever increasing table of incoming call information from our Ascend MAX RAS equipment. This table increases by 900,000 records a month. The previous administrator (no longer available) was using a Visual Foxpro 5 application to archive and remove the data older than 60 days. Unfortunately he left and took with him Visual Fox and all of his project files.

My question is this: Is there an easy way to archive then remove the data older than 60 days from the table? I would like to archive it to a tape drive. We need to maintain this archive for the purposes of searching back through customer calls for IP addresses on certain dates and times. We are an ISP, and occasionally need to give this information to law enforcement agencies. So we cannot just delete it.

Sorry this is so long...

Thanks,

Brian R
    WESNet Systems, NOC

Donnie Guest

Extracting data from a table for archiving purposes (reply)

You might create an 'archive' database with an empty copy of the table. You could then periodically copy the old data to the table in the archive db and backup that database to tape. Once you've verified the success of those steps, clear out the archive table and delete the old records from the source table.

When you need access to the old data, restore it to the archive db from the tape backup.

------------
    Brian R at 9/22/99 12:50:16 PM

Hello,

I have been placed in the position of administering our SQL server 6.5 (Microsoft). Being new to SQL and having some knowledge of databases (used to use Foxpro 2.6 for...DOS!) I am faced with an ever increasing table of incoming call information from our Ascend MAX RAS equipment. This table increases by 900,000 records a month. The previous administrator (no longer available) was using a Visual Foxpro 5 application to archive and remove the data older than 60 days. Unfortunately he left and took with him Visual Fox and all of his project files.

My question is this: Is there an easy way to archive then remove the data older than 60 days from the table? I would like to archive it to a tape drive. We need to maintain this archive for the purposes of searching back through customer calls for IP addresses on certain dates and times. We are an ISP, and occasionally need to give this information to law enforcement agencies. So we cannot just delete it.

Sorry this is so long...

Thanks,

Brian R
    WESNet Systems, NOC