Thread: Patching MSDE

Patching MSDE

I am trying to determine how to patch my servers that are running MSDE. Currently all are MSDE 7 but I expect some to be upgradded to MSDE 2000 soon. When running the Microsoft basline security analyzer I get this result:
    The latest service pack for this product is not installed. The latest service pack for this product is not installed. Currently SQL Server 7.0 Gold is installed. The latest service pack is SQL Server 7.0 SP4. Now since this MSDE only, how do I go about installing this patch, verifying install? I also get this result:
    MS00-014 SQL Query Abuse Vulnerability File \\Nwnet10\C$\MSSQL7\Binn\SQLSERVR.exe has a file version [1998.11.13.0] that is less than what is expected [2000.3.1.0]. I get other results rellating to SQL 7 yet only MSDE is installed. Can anyone tell me what I really need to do to secure an installation OF MSDE?

Thanks,

Mitchel

You can download sp for msde from microsoft, and follow instructions in readme file.

Thanks, I quess I'm just a little paranoid applying this to my web servers. Is there a way to determine which version of MSDE is running on a machine?

Just run SELECT @@Version.

I've installed SP4 on several MSDE 7.0 machines and so far no problems.

If I am only running MSDE how do I perform the @@Version query on the server? Set up the server in Enterprise manager on another machine?
    Thanks,

Mitchel

You can connect to msde with query analyzer or register it in em from anywhere as long as you have sql client tools on your network.

Thumbs up

Thanks!

I use...

I use Visual Studio .NET to manage my MSDE and run simple queries against it.