Thread: Desktop engine and concurrentlimit registry key

Question Desktop engine and concurrentlimit registry key

I was looking at the registry key value "ConcurrentLimit" in
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Micros oft SQL Server\80\MSSQLLicenseInfo\MSSQL8.00"

and wondering if this the concurrency control of SQL Server. Can someone please verify??

One of our SQL Production Server I inherited was installed with this version by mistake. The value for this key was set to 2. Does this mean it only allows 2 concurrent access to the SQL Server??

Thanks...byyu

Are you sure it's the desktop engine ?
    As far as I remember the Developpers edition is limited to 2 concurrent users.

Here is what @@version said:

Desktop Engine on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 3)

And I was just looking at other SQL server' registry key, it seems to me that this concurrentLimit key records the number of license you select during sql server installation. We have a server which we purchased 2 processor license". The value for this key is 2.
    For those servers that we purchased 5 CAL, the value for this key is 5. It is so confusing.

thanks...byyu

Basically you must not look at this key as a single value. the combination of lincensing type AND number of licenses gives you the number of concurrent users licensed.
    E.g.
    1) CAL licensing & 5 means 5 concurrent users2) Processor licensing & 2 means unlimited concurrent users to a 2 processor engine

This makes sense. Thank you very much!!!

...byyu