Thread: opening a java created database

opening a java created database

Hi all,
    I'm operating on very little knowledge of SQL 7.0. I have a database that was created in java and I'm told it will open with SQL 7.0. What would be the procedures for doing this?

Does java has its own database?

mmmmmm... strange.

"Create database " it is just a statement in many database. u can execute it with many languages.

Tell me the file extension of the database you are having.

General rule:

if it is .mdf it is sql server. if it is .dat it can be anything. if it is .dbf it can dBASE III,IV,V foxpro. If it is mdb it is ms-access.

I haven't actually seen the database yet so I'm not sure of the extension. I'm going to check it out today. Could you give me just a generic how to on opening a database in SQL? That would be a huge help.

Chris

You can use sp_attach_db to attach a properly detached database file. See SQL Books Online for detail.

Do you know which server the db was created on? You can use sql tool to connect to sql server and query the db.

Could I use the enterprise manager to create a new database and point to the appropriate database file and log file?

If you have data and log files, you can attach them to sql server with sp_attach_db.

Great, thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated!!