Thread: Object transfer of table during production

Cindy Rutherfurd Guest

Object transfer of table during production

My applications group wants to do a table transfer from one server to another as a means of refreshing the information on the target on a scheduled basis. That means that reports could be running against the target table during the transfer. This has introduced erroneous reports because the object transfer initially truncates the table, then transfers the data. If reports are running during the transfer, they might retrieve no data or only part of a table. I wrote a procedure to make a copy of the table to be transferred, then transfer that new table to the target machine, then drop the target table, then rename the transferred table. Now, I have the slightly smaller problem of doing a DROP TABLE when users are accessing the table. I can't set the database to 'dbo use only' because there are other tables in the database that must be available. Is this really a replication application?

Cindy Rutherfurd
    SQL Server DBA
    ZC Sterling Corp.

Ray Miao Guest

Object transfer of table during production (reply)

Just setup sql replication.

------------
    Cindy Rutherfurd at 10/14/99 2:14:11 PM

My applications group wants to do a table transfer from one server to another as a means of refreshing the information on the target on a scheduled basis. That means that reports could be running against the target table during the transfer. This has introduced erroneous reports because the object transfer initially truncates the table, then transfers the data. If reports are running during the transfer, they might retrieve no data or only part of a table. I wrote a procedure to make a copy of the table to be transferred, then transfer that new table to the target machine, then drop the target table, then rename the transferred table. Now, I have the slightly smaller problem of doing a DROP TABLE when users are accessing the table. I can't set the database to 'dbo use only' because there are other tables in the database that must be available. Is this really a replication application?

Cindy Rutherfurd
    SQL Server DBA
    ZC Sterling Corp.