Thread: Why is ASPdb so Slow?

Mike Carver Guest

Why is ASPdb so Slow?

I followed the recommendation of earlier treads regarding this subject and I compared pureasp.asp with ASPDBEP and ASPDBFREE and got the following results:

Creating a GRID of 830 records from NWIND / ORDERS all fields:
    pureasp : 5 seconds
    aspdbFREE: 20 seconds
    aspdbEP : 28 seconds

If you subtract 4 seconds for the amount fo time to send the HTML to the browser from the server you will have the following times to build the HTML page:
    pureasp : 1 seconds
    aspdbFREE: 16 seconds
    aspdbEP : 24 seconds

I ran this on Windows 2000 with PII 350mz (my normal machine). To compare, I ran the same test on a W2000 PIII 5000mz with the browser running on the same machine and it was about 20-25% faster (excluding the fact the browser was local).

This makes pureasp 16 times faster then aspdbfree and 24 times faster then apsdbep.

If I only show 5 records on the GRID then performance is fine, but if I show 15 or more then the performance degrades considerably.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any chance of running in FASTMODE where it does not support some of the features? Why is ASPDBFREE 33% faster the ASPDBEP running the same ASP Script. I really love the features of ASPDB, but the poor performance related to displaying more then a few rows is limiting my use of the product. If anyone else has a faster machine to test on, could you post your findings?

Here is the ASP I tested with. I used the pureasp that came with the product with a minor change for NWIND and Orders:

<%
    Option Explicit
    Response.Buffer = true
    Response.Expires = -1441
    Response.Cachecontrol=&#34;no-cache&#34;
    %>
    <HTML>
    <Head><Title>ASP-db Simple Demo</Title></Head>
    <Body Text=Black>
    <CENTER><B>Welcome to the ASP-db EP VERSION</B><P>
    <HR WIDTH=66%>
    <%
    Dim X
    Set X = Server.CreateObject(&#34;AspDB.EP&#34 &#39; Create the ASP-DB Object
    X.dbUnit = 1000
    X.dbDSN = &#34;NWIND&#34;
    X.dbColor = &#34;4&#34;
    X.dbGridInc = &#34;1000&#34;
    X.dbGridTableTag = &#34;border=3&#34;
    X.dbMode= &#34;Grid&#34;
    X.dbSQL = &#34;Select * FROM Orders&#34;
    X.dbNavigationItem = &#34;top, bottom, next, prev, filter&#34;
    X.ASPdbEP
    %>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Frank Guest

Why is ASPdb so Slow? (reply)

There are a performance tuning property used internally to bypass all the &#39;extras&#39; done by ASP-db. The result in runing the NWIND - ORDER table test displaying 800 records is 4 secs for pure ASP and 7 seconds for ASPdb-Y2K with the heaviest load. This performance swich bypass all the cell treatment except a few like color and nulls etc... I guess it doesn&#39;t hurt to open up this perormance property to the user for RAW display.

The reason of a faste Free comapre to the EP version is the level of cell treatment.

FK

------------
    Mike Carver at 5/12/00 5:30:06 PM

I followed the recommendation of earlier treads regarding this subject and I compared pureasp.asp with ASPDBEP and ASPDBFREE and got the following results:

If you subtract 4 seconds for the amount fo time to send the HTML to the browser from the server you will have the following times to build the HTML page:

I ran this on Windows 2000 with PII 350mz (my normal machine). To compare, I ran the same test on a W2000 PIII 5000mz with the browser running on the same machine and it was about 20-25% faster (excluding the fact the browser was local).

This makes pureasp 16 times faster then aspdbfree and 24 times faster then apsdbep.

If I only show 5 records on the GRID then performance is fine, but if I show 15 or more then the performance degrades considerably.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any chance of running in FASTMODE where it does not support some of the features? Why is ASPDBFREE 33% faster the ASPDBEP running the same ASP Script. I really love the features of ASPDB, but the poor performance related to displaying more then a few rows is limiting my use of the product. If anyone else has a faster machine to test on, could you post your findings?

Here is the ASP I tested with. I used the pureasp that came with the product with a minor change for NWIND and Orders:

<%
    Option Explicit
    Response.Buffer = true
    Response.Expires = -1441
    %>
    <HTML>
    <Body Text=Black>
    <HR WIDTH=66%>
    <%
    Dim X
    X.dbUnit = 1000
    X.dbColor = &#34;4&#34;
    X.dbMode= &#34;Grid&#34;
    X.ASPdbEP
    %>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Mike Carver Guest

How do we get the performance property opened up? Would that require a new release? I would love to get it. Any chance it could have levels of performance (1,2,3). Example: It would be nice to keep the EDIT button on each line and I set everything to FONT SIZE=1. Problem is that both these settings are in the MAGICCELL property. However, I could switch to using the INDEX to select the item I wanted to EDIT to get the SPEED.

Thanks,

Mike

------------
    Frank at 5/13/00 11:20:37 AM

There are a performance tuning property used internally to bypass all the &#39;extras&#39; done by ASP-db. The result in runing the NWIND - ORDER table test displaying 800 records is 4 secs for pure ASP and 7 seconds for ASPdb-Y2K with the heaviest load. This performance swich bypass all the cell treatment except a few like color and nulls etc... I guess it doesn&#39;t hurt to open up this perormance property to the user for RAW display.

The reason of a faste Free comapre to the EP version is the level of cell treatment.

FK

------------

<%
    Option Explicit
    Response.Buffer = true
    Response.Expires = -1441
    %>
    <HTML>
    <Body Text=Black>
    <HR WIDTH=66%>
    <%
    Dim X
    X.dbUnit = 1000
    X.dbColor = &#34;4&#34;
    X.dbMode= &#34;Grid&#34;
    X.ASPdbEP
    %>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Frank Guest

Mike,
    Yes, it would require a new release. Actually, the next major release/upgrade is at test now and I just added this one to it. I did not add different levels even though I thought of that and made provsions for that in the future. Fo rnow I only add a displaylevel of 0 and autodetect that also. If user did not use the cell treatment properties, then the raw mode will be activated. The more vigorous implementation will be to divide the properties into levels and open them up when upon different levels of displaylevel. I&#39;ll do that in the future if there is a need. Normally applications do not display a large amount of records as in the test especially when there is no criteria and hence no index is activated.

the edit buttons on each line is really a mini app by itself and seemed like that there are enough interest from users and it is getting close to the top of the wish list. SO, suffer for a little while longer until I get to it. Meanwhile, you can make suggestions. Seems like a delete and update pair or just a single edit buton will do it. I am leaning towards using a single edit button.

Fk

------------
    Mike Carver at 5/13/00 4:19:09 PM

How do we get the performance property opened up? Would that require a new release? I would love to get it. Any chance it could have levels of performance (1,2,3). Example: It would be nice to keep the EDIT button on each line and I set everything to FONT SIZE=1. Problem is that both these settings are in the MAGICCELL property. However, I could switch to using the INDEX to select the item I wanted to EDIT to get the SPEED.

Thanks,

Mike

------------

FK

------------

<%
    Option Explicit
    Response.Buffer = true
    Response.Expires = -1441
    %>
    <HTML>
    <Body Text=Black>
    <HR WIDTH=66%>
    <%
    Dim X
    X.dbUnit = 1000
    X.dbColor = &#34;4&#34;
    X.dbMode= &#34;Grid&#34;
    X.ASPdbEP
    %>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Mike Carver Guest

Thank you for adding that feature. Would it be possible for you to send me the test release via email? Do you know when the final release will be ready for normal distribution? As far as most applications not displaying a lot of data I would like to add that they may not display much data in the GRID because of performance. I generally limit my grid size to 5-15 rows because I want fast response. I would prefer to pull up all the rows that match my criteria then having to go back to the server for every 10 rows when what I need maybe 70-80 rows. If I could download all 70-80 rows in 1-2 seconds I would prefer to do that instead and just scroll the data locally. The more options we have to optimize performance the better. Of course I realize you have to prioritize your efforts but I wanted to give my input.

Thanks Again,

Mike

------------
    Frank at 5/14/00 1:23:52 AM

Mike,
    Yes, it would require a new release. Actually, the next major release/upgrade is at test now and I just added this one to it. I did not add different levels even though I thought of that and made provsions for that in the future. Fo rnow I only add a displaylevel of 0 and autodetect that also. If user did not use the cell treatment properties, then the raw mode will be activated. The more vigorous implementation will be to divide the properties into levels and open them up when upon different levels of displaylevel. I&#39;ll do that in the future if there is a need. Normally applications do not display a large amount of records as in the test especially when there is no criteria and hence no index is activated.

the edit buttons on each line is really a mini app by itself and seemed like that there are enough interest from users and it is getting close to the top of the wish list. SO, suffer for a little while longer until I get to it. Meanwhile, you can make suggestions. Seems like a delete and update pair or just a single edit buton will do it. I am leaning towards using a single edit button.

Fk

------------

Thanks,

Mike

------------

FK

------------

<%
    Option Explicit
    Response.Buffer = true
    Response.Expires = -1441
    %>
    <HTML>
    <Body Text=Black>
    <HR WIDTH=66%>
    <%
    Dim X
    X.dbUnit = 1000
    X.dbColor = &#34;4&#34;
    X.dbMode= &#34;Grid&#34;
    X.ASPdbEP
    %>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Frank Kwong Guest

Your requirement of 70-80 rows of raw data in 2 seconds is not unreasonable. But if you need cell treatment then you need to give it more time. I&#39;ll notify support to see wheteher a pre-release with displaylevel property can be sent to you. Please send them an e-mail just to be sure.

FK

------------
    Mike Carver at 5/14/00 6:12:24 PM

Thank you for adding that feature. Would it be possible for you to send me the test release via email? Do you know when the final release will be ready for normal distribution? As far as most applications not displaying a lot of data I would like to add that they may not display much data in the GRID because of performance. I generally limit my grid size to 5-15 rows because I want fast response. I would prefer to pull up all the rows that match my criteria then having to go back to the server for every 10 rows when what I need maybe 70-80 rows. If I could download all 70-80 rows in 1-2 seconds I would prefer to do that instead and just scroll the data locally. The more options we have to optimize performance the better. Of course I realize you have to prioritize your efforts but I wanted to give my input.

Thanks Again,

Mike

------------
    Frank at 5/14/00 1:23:52 AM

Mike,

Fk

------------

Thanks,

Mike

------------

FK

------------

<%
    Option Explicit
    Response.Buffer = true
    Response.Expires = -1441
    %>
    <HTML>
    <Body Text=Black>
    <HR WIDTH=66%>
    <%
    Dim X
    X.dbUnit = 1000
    X.dbColor = &#34;4&#34;
    X.dbMode= &#34;Grid&#34;
    X.ASPdbEP
    %>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>