Thread: ASPDB and ASP.NET

Terry Duchcherer Guest

ASPDB and ASP.NET

Has anyone used the ASPDB product on ASP.NET.
    We are just starting to look at ASP.NET and can see
    som adavantages to using this platform.

What is involved to getting the two to work?
    Is there a new or beta version made specifically for ASP.NET?

Terry

Frank Kwong Guest

ASPDB and ASP.NET (reply)

My 25 cents worth in .NET ->

Beta 2 is out and we are looing at that. By the time V1 is out, probably ASP-db will be ready w/o any .NET flavor. When V2 is out the ASP-db will take advantage of the new structure. ASP-db is pretty much a tool to implement the business rules rather than playing with the new feature or new structures like .NET. From the preview I attended, The user know-how has to be a lot more and on top of a totally new structure, It is not wise to use that in any mission critical jobs in V1. ASP 3.0 has a lot of nice features and becasue it requires IE5, hardly any developers I know are taking advantage of it. .NET swears that they'll resolve NS and IE difference internally !! Using NS6, cannot even get a drop down menu to work in the MS site. Applets in Remote Scripting is broken in NS6 and MS said they would not fix it. So, .NET is going to be browser independent? The fair question is for how long ? If I have to rewrite 80% of my code using VS7, so would a lot of folks. Session variables of the old and new is not compatable, so you can walk side-by-side by not hand-in-hand with .NET. So If I see a good reason or my user to suggest a few to use .NET, I'll allocate more effort to that. So far all the work lists are new features oriented like full screen editing, filtering, integrated validation, calendar and upload.

FK

------------
    Terry Duchcherer at 6/25/01 3:01:25 PM

Has anyone used the ASPDB product on ASP.NET.
    We are just starting to look at ASP.NET and can see
    som adavantages to using this platform.

What is involved to getting the two to work?
    Is there a new or beta version made specifically for ASP.NET?

Terry