Thread: Random Record Display?

Ted Moore Guest

Random Record Display?

Dear Forum,

Is there a way to display records in random order? I am using ASPdb Enterpise. If there is a reference to this technique please let me know.
    Thanks in advance!

John Guest

Random Record Display? (reply)

Hi Ted,

Today, the records are usually displayed in the order they're entered in, unless of course you have an ORDER BY in your SQL statement. This by itself is usually pretty random (in terms of the fields - like Customer Name, Product Name, etc).

I'm not aware of a SQL statement that randomizes the output. What if you were to order them by some "illogical" field like "zip code" or "first name" or social security number so that when the records were viewed they would appear random. Think of it, records ordered by social security number would appear random if viewed by name, etc?

One last thought, is to use ASP to generate a random number, and store that into a hidden field (with the [default value] option), then ORDER BY that field.

Good luck,
    John

------------
    Ted Moore at 9/18/2002 2:19:54 PM

Dear Forum,

Is there a way to display records in random order? I am using ASPdb Enterpise. If there is a reference to this technique please let me know.
    Thanks in advance!