Thread: xp_cmdshell error in 6.5 for non SA login - Error 1326

Dladd Guest

xp_cmdshell error in 6.5 for non SA login - Error 1326

I have a stored proc that attempts to execute xp_cmdshell using a login other than 'sa'. The permissions have been given to the login to execute xp_cmdshell and the stored procedure executes perfectly within the query analyzer in EM. However, when attempting to execute the same stored proc in ISQL_W under a login with permissions for everything as dbo (other than Master) I get error 1326 for LogonUser on line 359. This is with the "xp_cmdshell - Use SQLExecutiveCmdExec Account for Non SAs" disabled (as described as a "workaround" on the technet). Microsoft acknowledged this as being a 'bug' to 'fix' and put a 'fix' in Service Pack 5a. The server that is experiencing this problem is running service pack 5. Is there any difference between the service packs and if so, will installing service pack 5a help me? And if not, what can be done to alleviate this problem?

Ray Miao Guest

xp_cmdshell error in 6.5 for non SA login - Error 1326 (reply)

Install sp5a.

------------
    Dladd at 3/17/00 5:46:41 PM

I have a stored proc that attempts to execute xp_cmdshell using a login other than 'sa'. The permissions have been given to the login to execute xp_cmdshell and the stored procedure executes perfectly within the query analyzer in EM. However, when attempting to execute the same stored proc in ISQL_W under a login with permissions for everything as dbo (other than Master) I get error 1326 for LogonUser on line 359. This is with the "xp_cmdshell - Use SQLExecutiveCmdExec Account for Non SAs" disabled (as described as a "workaround" on the technet). Microsoft acknowledged this as being a 'bug' to 'fix' and put a 'fix' in Service Pack 5a. The server that is experiencing this problem is running service pack 5. Is there any difference between the service packs and if so, will installing service pack 5a help me? And if not, what can be done to alleviate this problem?