Thread: Aspdb Without using Session Variables

Manivannan Musuwathi Guest

Aspdb Without using Session Variables

Is Aspdb enhanced to work without any session variables or is it a future plan kind of in the Gold version

Or is it going to be done on the aspdb.net version !!!

Because it is critical for me to work without the session variables to take care of numerous(thousands) users to hit the server simultaneously and still dont have performance issues in the applications because of the session variables.

Frank Kwong Guest

Aspdb Without using Session Variables (reply)

Seems like session variable is here to stay with ASP-db. The other alternatives are not any better and most of them are worst. Explain your application and see how to justify this. For large chunk of session memory activities, ASPdb.Net (you say future!) buffers them to disks. I fyou are worried about performance, we can compare with other that doesn't use "session variables". Session variable is not the big killer of performance.

FK

------------
    Manivannan Musuwathi at 2/2/2002 10:48:46 PM

Is Aspdb enhanced to work without any session variables or is it a future plan kind of in the Gold version

Because it is critical for me to work without the session variables to take care of numerous(thousands) users to hit the server simultaneously and still dont have performance issues in the applications because of the session variables.

Lon Rodrig Guest

I agree with Frank that session variables do not have a big performance impact in ASP if used judiciously. However I think he would agree that they they do affect the scalability of a solution and can make it much harder to deploy on web farms using certain clustering techniques. I was unable to use ASPDB functions on a number of big projects because of this, but for most common usages it is not really a big issue.

Lon

------------

Frank Kwong Guest

There isn't really any official web farm solutions. The closest and most official ones are from DotNet and the results have to be seen. Most companies have their own farm solutions and during my DotNet developer tour in MS campus, most developers are trading horror stories about web farming. I guess if you are doing an Ebay web site then you need to have a web farm, otherwise you are asking for a lot of challenge.

FK

------------
    Lon Rodrig at 2/5/2002 12:59:09 PM

I agree with Frank that session variables do not have a big performance impact in ASP if used judiciously. However I think he would agree that they they do affect the scalability of a solution and can make it much harder to deploy on web farms using certain clustering techniques. I was unable to use ASPDB functions on a number of big projects because of this, but for most common usages it is not really a big issue.

Lon

------------