Thread: MSAccess Security and ODBC

Shel Guest

MSAccess Security and ODBC

I am beginning a new project where the MDB file is using Access's security method (MDW file). I need to create an ODBC connection through this method of security. Is this possible? If so, please let me know what steps I need to take.

These users will need both read and write capabilities.

Frank Kwong Guest

MSAccess Security and ODBC (reply)

Normall, security is a pass through with ASP-db. I have not dome anything like this in a web sense. But I want topoint point that if you are going to security mode, you must be getting serious in you application and if youcheck out the write-up inthe front pageof the site, you notice that there are articles to tell you why Access should not be used in a mission critical application unless it is read-only.

FK

------------
    Shel at 1/29/2002 10:32:43 AM

I am beginning a new project where the MDB file is using Access's security method (MDW file). I need to create an ODBC connection through this method of security. Is this possible? If so, please let me know what steps I need to take.

Frank Kwong Guest

I have never done this before now there is a few messages and I am interested. Tell me more about these MDW business and I'll give it a try....

FK

------------

John Guest

Hi Shel,

You can set any ID/PW you wish to be used to open the db connection with your DSN. Here's the steps:

1) Run ODBC Admin
    2) Click on the System DSN Tab
    3) Double click on your DSN to edit or create a new one
    4) Click on the Advanced button and fill in the id/pw to be used
    5) Save it

That's it. Basically the ODBC driver will pass along the id and pw whenever you specify the DSN in ASPdb. You'll have your security, and the user will never be able to see the ID/PW used. In fact, it won't even be in the ASP code - only in the System DSN definition (which goes in the registry).

Thanks,
    John

------------

Frank Kwong Guest

John,
    I cannot get that going by just putting the id/password in both the ODBC DSN and the dbDSN. I have to do it using systemdb to specify the secured.mdw file as described in my other message.

FK

------------
    John at 1/30/2002 2:53:17 AM

Hi Shel,

You can set any ID/PW you wish to be used to open the db connection with your DSN. Here's the steps:

1) Run ODBC Admin
    2) Click on the System DSN Tab
    3) Double click on your DSN to edit or create a new one
    4) Click on the Advanced button and fill in the id/pw to be used
    5) Save it

That's it. Basically the ODBC driver will pass along the id and pw whenever you specify the DSN in ASPdb. You'll have your security, and the user will never be able to see the ID/PW used. In fact, it won't even be in the ASP code - only in the System DSN definition (which goes in the registry).

Thanks,
    John

------------