Thread: Replicating development changes to productions

Brian Moss Guest

Replicating development changes to productions

Hello. I develop various database projects for my company. We ahve various developers making changes to a development database and when ready, copying those changes over to a production server.

My question is... how do some of you handle this. I know you can copy objects manually, you can write DTS packages, etc., but I'm just looking for some other thoughts you may like to share.

Thanks,

Brian Moss

khuyen Guest

Replicating development changes to productions (reply)

Brian,

We have been able to successfully perform this by generating build scripts for the production/support team.

I worked on a team of 7 db developers and did not have any probems sending incremental db changes (schema, SPROCs, etc) made in dev ---> to test --> and eventually to production.

The key is producing a flawless (idiot proof) build script for the production/support team. In practice, this is not that difficult to do.

Let's take this off-line if you need further assistance.

-Khuyen
    ------------
    Brian Moss at 3/2/00 5:22:12 PM

Hello. I develop various database projects for my company. We ahve various developers making changes to a development database and when ready, copying those changes over to a production server.

My question is... how do some of you handle this. I know you can copy objects manually, you can write DTS packages, etc., but I'm just looking for some other thoughts you may like to share.

Thanks,

Brian Moss