Thread: Stored Procedures

harsha jagasia Guest

Stored Procedures

Hi,
    I am coding with Active server pages and SQL server 7.0.
    If we were to have too many stored procedures what kind of a performance asvantage/distadvantage would that pose.
    With stored procedures fewer parameters have to be passed in,
    the SQL statements are prevalidated and compiled, and the amount of data sent over a network is smaller.
    However if there are too many stored procedures would that pose a performance disdvantage in any manner.
    Can this cause frquent timeouts and if so is there anyway of circumventing the problem.
    Please help!
    Thanks
    Harsha Jagasia

chris Guest

Stored Procedures (reply)

Actually, your performance would be increased. The processing is done by SQL, so all you will see is a trim ADO recordset. The proc's cache the query plan and make the process/transaction time much lighter than performing Dynamic SQL within ASP. ASP 3.0 does offer some added functionality with COM+ components, but you will have to be on Windows 2000. A single SQL Server 7 stored proc can have a max of 1,024 input parameters. I haven't ever needed that many yet!

------------
    harsha jagasia at 7/13/00 10:38:13 AM

Hi,
    I am coding with Active server pages and SQL server 7.0.
    If we were to have too many stored procedures what kind of a performance asvantage/distadvantage would that pose.
    With stored procedures fewer parameters have to be passed in,
    the SQL statements are prevalidated and compiled, and the amount of data sent over a network is smaller.
    However if there are too many stored procedures would that pose a performance disdvantage in any manner.
    Can this cause frquent timeouts and if so is there anyway of circumventing the problem.
    Please help!
    Thanks
    Harsha Jagasia