Thread: index then insert or insert then index

jim Guest

index then insert or insert then index

I have to create a table with a clustered PK on col1, col2, col3 and insert 5.6 million rows. There are only 2 other columns in the table. Does it matter if I create table, insert, create PK or create table with PK then insert?

Markus Guest

index then insert or insert then index (reply)

Hi Jim,

create the table, bcp the data and create then the index. Otherwise you would need to rebuild the index after the data load.

------------
    jim at 3/3/01 3:55:54 PM

I have to create a table with a clustered PK on col1, col2, col3 and insert 5.6 million rows. There are only 2 other columns in the table. Does it matter if I create table, insert, create PK or create table with PK then insert?

Joe Guest

Jim, Markus,
    hello
    The index is updated on insert,update or delete of data, so the need to rebuild the indexes is not necessary on SQL 7.0 and 2000. If this index is a full text index then you would need to rebuild. It is also always a good idea to enforce the constraint prior to loading the table...

------------
    Markus at 3/5/01 2:50:30 AM

Hi Jim,

create the table, bcp the data and create then the index. Otherwise you would need to rebuild the index after the data load.

------------

Joe Guest

Jim, one more thing...
    It will take a little longer to insert the data due to the fact that the constraint is verifying that each record is unique, but attempting to enforce a primary key after the fact is much more time consuming, assuming that it will fail.

------------
    Joe at 3/6/01 4:48:11 PM

Jim, Markus,
    hello
    The index is updated on insert,update or delete of data, so the need to rebuild the indexes is not necessary on SQL 7.0 and 2000. If this index is a full text index then you would need to rebuild. It is also always a good idea to enforce the constraint prior to loading the table...

------------
    Markus at 3/5/01 2:50:30 AM

Hi Jim,

------------