Thread: special characters - search in DB

Eärendil Guest

special characters - search in DB

Hi !

I have an DB in SQL Server 7, and in Portuguese we have special characters like "á","õ",etc. And I want to let the visitor to a site to do a search (written in ASP), and not to need to write the correct way (without the accents). But either he writes or not in the correct way, the results are the same, not necessarly in the same order. Is there a SQL Server mechanism that permits this functionality, without doing a very complicated SELECT (takes a lot of time) or replicating a field in the DB (takes a lot of extra space)...

Thanks !
    Filipe Lopes, Lisbon, Portugal.

Paul Guest

special characters - search in DB (reply)

Try using SOUNDEX (see books on-line for syntax)

------------
    Eärendil at 3/6/01 7:27:00 AM

Hi !

I have an DB in SQL Server 7, and in Portuguese we have special characters like "á","õ",etc. And I want to let the visitor to a site to do a search (written in ASP), and not to need to write the correct way (without the accents). But either he writes or not in the correct way, the results are the same, not necessarly in the same order. Is there a SQL Server mechanism that permits this functionality, without doing a very complicated SELECT (takes a lot of time) or replicating a field in the DB (takes a lot of extra space)...

Thanks !

Eärendil Guest

special characters - search in DB (reply)

Thanks for your reply

We found the answer :

All you have to do is change the property accent-sensitivity and you put the criteria "josé" it's the same as "jose" and "josè" and so on...

Thanks a lot for having answered so quickly.
    Filipe Lopes

------------
    Paul at 3/6/01 7:51:00 AM

Try using SOUNDEX (see books on-line for syntax)

------------
    Eärendil at 3/6/01 7:27:00 AM

Hi !

Thanks !