Thread: Service account password change - Help!

Cindy Rutherfurd Guest

Service account password change - Help!

Ugh! Someone changed the password of our SQL Server service account. It is called syssql, and it is used by the MSSQLServer and SQL Executive services to log in at startup. After the password was changed, we noticed that replication wasn’t running, and since I know that replication uses the Executive service, I restarted that service using the new password. That worked to get replication working again, and since the boxes were production machines I didn’t restart the MSSQLServer service with the new password yet. Now, our syssql account keeps on locking up every so often, and scheduled tasks that use xp_sendmail stopped working, and alerts stopped sending. Is this happening because of the MSSQLServer service still being logged in with the old password? I suspect that the SQL Mail logs in through the MSSQLServer service, which is still using the old password, and the login failures are causing the syssql account to lock. Any other ideas???

Cindy Rutherfurd
    cindy.rutherfurd@zcsterling.com

Ray Miao Guest

Service account password change - Help! (reply)

Changr password and restart sql server.

------------
    Cindy Rutherfurd at 12/3/99 2:50:51 PM

Ugh! Someone changed the password of our SQL Server service account. It is called syssql, and it is used by the MSSQLServer and SQL Executive services to log in at startup. After the password was changed, we noticed that replication wasn’t running, and since I know that replication uses the Executive service, I restarted that service using the new password. That worked to get replication working again, and since the boxes were production machines I didn’t restart the MSSQLServer service with the new password yet. Now, our syssql account keeps on locking up every so often, and scheduled tasks that use xp_sendmail stopped working, and alerts stopped sending. Is this happening because of the MSSQLServer service still being logged in with the old password? I suspect that the SQL Mail logs in through the MSSQLServer service, which is still using the old password, and the login failures are causing the syssql account to lock. Any other ideas???

Cindy Rutherfurd

Cindy Rutherfurd Guest

Service account password change - Help! (reply)

Thanks for responding.
    But, does that mean that my suspicions are correct? That you need to change the password and start/stop both of the services? I'm trying to gain an understanding of what is actually happening to cause the account to lock, and thereby gain an understanding of how SQL Server works.

------------
    Ray Miao at 12/3/99 2:57:11 PM

Changr password and restart sql server.

------------
    Cindy Rutherfurd at 12/3/99 2:50:51 PM

Cindy Rutherfurd