Thread: Replication Problem

Jon Carey Guest

Replication Problem

When I run the distribution agent for a successfully created snapshot, it fails giving me the following message : 'The step did not generate any output. The step failed.'.

Has anyone come across this before? I have ruled out permissions and connection problems.

Carly Guest

Replication Problem (reply)

More information please.

Is the distributor and publisher on the same box?
    What accounts does the SQL Server /Agent run in ?
    Where is the subscriber (LAN/WAN/internet etc) ?

Under the SQL agent check the "view job history" and make sure you click on the "show step details", any more information here.

Do a snapshot of the pubs database and replicate it back to the same server does this work ?

------------
    Jon Carey at 8/23/00 4:24:21 AM

When I run the distribution agent for a successfully created snapshot, it fails giving me the following message : 'The step did not generate any output. The step failed.'.

Has anyone come across this before? I have ruled out permissions and connection problems.

Jon Carey Guest

More information please. OK

Is the distributor and publisher on the same box? YES
    What accounts does the SQL Server /Agent run in ? SA
    Where is the subscriber (LAN/WAN/internet etc) ? DEDICATED DIGITAL LEASED LINE TO SQL SUBSCRIBER (WAN)
    Under the SQL agent check the "view job history" and make sure you click on the "show step details", any more information here. SORRY NO MORE INFO THERE, NO ERROR CODES ETC.
    Do a snapshot of the pubs database and replicate it back to the same server does this work ? INTERESTING, IT DOES NOT WORK.

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK, ANY IDEAS. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

JON

------------
    Jon Carey at 8/23/00 4:24:21 AM

Jon Carey Guest

Hi Carly

Just to let you know, for future reference, the reason why the distribution failed. I am using the SBS version of SQL Server. SBS Version 4.5 has a bug. It does not install the following distribution DLLs.

Rdistcom.dll
    Replprov.dll
    Replrec.dll
    Replerrx.dll
    Sqldistx.dll
    Sqlmergex.dll

You can check your SQL server installation by running distrib.exe without any parameters. If you get an error, chances are this is the problem. If you also get error 14151 try running distrib to see if this is the problem.

Thankyou for your time and help.

Regards

Jon.