Thread: dbo alias

Karen Suenram Guest

dbo alias

We have an alias for dbo in various code areas, development/test/production. It was easy to tell the DBO alias
    on release 6.5 but now on 7.0, the only way I can figure out if the userid is aliased to dbo is to sign on as the userid
    and query 'select user_name( )' and if it returns dbo, I have the answer. Is there an easier way to do this by looking in a
    system catalog or is there something else I am missing? Thanks in advance. Karen Suenram

Ray Miao Guest

dbo alias (reply)

You should use db_owner role instead of dbo alias since microsoft will stop support alias soon.

------------
    Karen Suenram at 3/30/00 5:22:08 PM

We have an alias for dbo in various code areas, development/test/production. It was easy to tell the DBO alias
    on release 6.5 but now on 7.0, the only way I can figure out if the userid is aliased to dbo is to sign on as the userid
    and query 'select user_name( )' and if it returns dbo, I have the answer. Is there an easier way to do this by looking in a
    system catalog or is there something else I am missing? Thanks in advance. Karen Suenram

Karen Suenram Guest

dbo alias (reply)

It seems like with db_owner, the owner of the table is then the userid and not dbo. This
    seems to make it difficult with a design tool to be able to use the same model
    as you migrate code through dev,test, and production. The owner name changes 3 times
    so you really don't have one model, you have three.

Is there some way with db_owner to make the userid for the tables dbo? These people
    cannot sign on as SA.

Also people outside my organization will have problems if I can't alias them to dbo.
    Most applications that other people use that have front-end installs, assume that the installer
    is dbo. We don't really want to do installs for hundreds of little applications, we want the
    application owners to do their own installs on their individual databases because they have
    dbo alias. Hope there is something I am missing since I am new to V7. Karen

------------
    Ray Miao at 3/31/00 8:15:40 AM

You should use db_owner role instead of dbo alias since microsoft will stop support alias soon.

------------

Ray Miao Guest

dbo alias (reply)

Two options:
    1. change object owner with sp_changeobjectowner to dbo,
    2. when create object, always use dbo.obj_name as object name. This is the only way for future releases.

------------
    Karen Suenram at 3/31/00 10:29:07 AM

It seems like with db_owner, the owner of the table is then the userid and not dbo. This
    as you migrate code through dev,test, and production. The owner name changes 3 times

Is there some way with db_owner to make the userid for the tables dbo? These people
    cannot sign on as SA.

Also people outside my organization will have problems if I can't alias them to dbo.
    Most applications that other people use that have front-end installs, assume that the installer
    is dbo. We don't really want to do installs for hundreds of little applications, we want the
    application owners to do their own installs on their individual databases because they have

------------

------------

Karen Suenram Guest

dbo alias (reply)

Thanks. I believe Option 2 will settle some of our problems and I had not realized this would work
    if you were not sa. (and I realize you should be db_owner)
    Karen

------------
    Ray Miao at 3/31/00 12:35:29 PM

Two options:
    2. when create object, always use dbo.obj_name as object name. This is the only way for future releases.

------------

cannot sign on as SA.

------------

------------

Karen Suenram Guest

dbo alias

I'm back to my dbo alias questions again. Is there a catalog query to help me remember who I have as a dbo alias?
    They migrated over just fine from 6.5 to 7.0. But now I can't just click on dbo and see who it is. I don't want
    to sign on as the user and do select user_name() just to see if it return dbo. I realize I should make them db_owner
    once I figure out who they are. Thanks in advance. Karen

------------

Two options:

------------

cannot sign on as SA.

------------

------------

dbo alias (reply)

sp_helpuser does the job.

------------
    Karen Suenram at 4/18/00 11:22:49 AM

I'm back to my dbo alias questions again. Is there a catalog query to help me remember who I have as a dbo alias?
    They migrated over just fine from 6.5 to 7.0. But now I can't just click on dbo and see who it is. I don't want
    to sign on as the user and do select user_name() just to see if it return dbo. I realize I should make them db_owner

------------

Two options:

------------

cannot sign on as SA.

------------

------------

Karen Suenram Guest

dbo alias (reply)

Thanks. It pays to go to the bottom of the list in this case. Karen

------------
    at 4/18/00 12:22:06 PM

sp_helpuser does the job.

------------
    Karen Suenram at 4/18/00 11:22:49 AM

------------

Two options:

------------

cannot sign on as SA.

------------

------------