Thread: Automated export?

Alan Tam Guest

Automated export?

Hi. I am using SQL 7.0.

Here is the situation... there are random (.csv) files being dropped into a specific directory on a daily basis. Is it possible to have SQL server automatically pick up this file and run it through the Import/Export data option so that it creates a SQL table from the original data? I need this whole sequence to be automated. Is this possible? Somebody please help... I will appreciate it greatly. Thanks a lot!

Alan

Wooi K Guest

Automated export? (reply)

It's doable. You can create a DTS package that is scheduled to run every x hours. The package will look for specific directory, if it finds *.csv then do the conversion to SQL table. Then if needed, rename those already processed csv file to something else or move them to some where else.

Wooi.

------------
    Alan Tam at 10/20/99 12:41:33 AM

Hi. I am using SQL 7.0.

Here is the situation... there are random (.csv) files being dropped into a specific directory on a daily basis. Is it possible to have SQL server automatically pick up this file and run it through the Import/Export data option so that it creates a SQL table from the original data? I need this whole sequence to be automated. Is this possible? Somebody please help... I will appreciate it greatly. Thanks a lot!

Alan

David Lowis Guest

Automated export? (reply)

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem,(various files come into a directory for importing) and I have thought of doing it the same way you have just mentioned.
    But, I have had problems AFTER I have connected to and ADODB source. (this source will contain each text filename that has come in.)
    Once I have connected, my whole DTS package stops responding!
    If I can get the above working, and it will help me as well as the guy from the original thread.

------------
    Wooi K at 10/20/99 12:48:15 AM

It's doable. You can create a DTS package that is scheduled to run every x hours. The package will look for specific directory, if it finds *.csv then do the conversion to SQL table. Then if needed, rename those already processed csv file to something else or move them to some where else.

Wooi.

------------
    Alan Tam at 10/20/99 12:41:33 AM

Hi. I am using SQL 7.0.

Alan