Thread: Connection lockout

Jon Fox Guest

Connection lockout

I have a custom application running against sql7 that has twice "locked up" sql7. The locked up symptom is that sql 7 will not allow any connections,
    even from enterprise manager (server xxxxx is not responding........). The application returns an error that says the
    "xxxxx" database is not available, using master instead. A look at the NT event log and the sql7 log provide no help. The OS is running fine and
    existing connections (by the application) are still allowing database writes. How do trap what is causing sql7 to stop responding to connection
    requests. I am presently starting and stopping the mssql service to get things running, but I really need a root cause. Any troubleshooting tips for
    this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ray Miao Guest

Connection lockout (reply)

Use Profiler to trace the problem.

------------
    Jon Fox at 10/24/99 1:42:26 PM

I have a custom application running against sql7 that has twice "locked up" sql7. The locked up symptom is that sql 7 will not allow any connections,
    even from enterprise manager (server xxxxx is not responding........). The application returns an error that says the
    "xxxxx" database is not available, using master instead. A look at the NT event log and the sql7 log provide no help. The OS is running fine and
    existing connections (by the application) are still allowing database writes. How do trap what is causing sql7 to stop responding to connection
    requests. I am presently starting and stopping the mssql service to get things running, but I really need a root cause. Any troubleshooting tips for
    this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!