Thread: SQL7 Memory & Performance

Jason Clark Guest

SQL7 Memory & Performance

Just two questions actually. We have built a ColdFusion based forums package. Currently we have it on two beta sites, and we are usin sql 7 for the db. Firstly the forums are serving 200-300 people at any given time, about 16,000 unique people a day. SQL & seems to stay at around 50% cpu usage on a dual p3 with 512mb ram. Is that normal? Seems like alot of cpu usage. The other thing is it takes 500mb of ram and just about drains the server of all of its ram even though in the memory properties for the sql server its set to 255mb maximum. Any insight is appreciated.

tcronin Guest

SQL7 Memory & Performance (reply)

I posted a similar problem, and got various answers. I have been told that loading SQL 7 sp1
    will help fix this. I am testing this on a development server, but because of Y2K I can't
    put it into production till 2000

------------
    Jason Clark at 10/31/99 1:56:15 PM

Just two questions actually. We have built a ColdFusion based forums package. Currently we have it on two beta sites, and we are usin sql 7 for the db. Firstly the forums are serving 200-300 people at any given time, about 16,000 unique people a day. SQL & seems to stay at around 50% cpu usage on a dual p3 with 512mb ram. Is that normal? Seems like alot of cpu usage. The other thing is it takes 500mb of ram and just about drains the server of all of its ram even though in the memory properties for the sql server its set to 255mb maximum. Any insight is appreciated.

Jason Clark Guest

SQL7 Memory & Performance (reply)

The server is actually running SP1. It seems live very high usage to me, I have other sites running on Oracle that barely cap 5% usage and maybe user 150mb of ram.

------------
    tcronin at 11/1/99 11:54:43 AM

I posted a similar problem, and got various answers. I have been told that loading SQL 7 sp1
    will help fix this. I am testing this on a development server, but because of Y2K I can't
    put it into production till 2000

------------
    Jason Clark at 10/31/99 1:56:15 PM