Thread: Import of data

Prashant Guest

Import of data

Hi!I am using SQL Server 7.0.My query goes as follows
    There are two tables Table1 and Table2 both of which have a column companykey
    which have PK and FK relationship
    I have imported data from a *.CSV file into Table2
    Table2 has many to one relationship with Table1 in the sense for each company in Table1 there can be more than 1 employees in Table2

Now I want to insert only the value of column CompanyKey from Table2 to Table1 and also some other columns values like employeekey from Table2 to regiskey column in Table1.
    Now how do I do this???
    I need this very urgently...

Andrew Wiegand Guest

insert question

Hi,
    If you have defined a pk-fk relationship between the 2 tables based on companykey then it would be impossible for you to have values in the companykey column of table2 that don't have corresponding values in the companykey column of table1

That said here is how you would perform an insert like you describe below. Although the exact syntax will vary depending on the number of columns in table1:

insert table1 (companykey,regiskey)
    select companykey, employeekey
    from table2

hth,
    andrew

------------
    Prashant at 10/28/99 1:23:13 PM

Hi!I am using SQL Server 7.0.My query goes as follows
    There are two tables Table1 and Table2 both of which have a column companykey
    which have PK and FK relationship
    I have imported data from a *.CSV file into Table2
    Table2 has many to one relationship with Table1 in the sense for each company in Table1 there can be more than 1 employees in Table2

Now I want to insert only the value of column CompanyKey from Table2 to Table1 and also some other columns values like employeekey from Table2 to regiskey column in Table1.
    Now how do I do this???
    I need this very urgently...