Thread: Restoring a master database

sv Guest

Restoring a master database

Iam planning to move the production server from one server to another. Can any one tell me how to do the migration of the master,model and msdb database. Help in this regard is highly appreciated.Is it ok if I do the dts for these three databases Thanks
    Naveen.

Meir Dudai Guest

Restoring a master database (reply)

You shouldn't move the system databases. Transfer only the user databases with backup/restore or dts. Then define your jobs that were run on your previous server.

Rob Walker Guest

Restoring a master database (reply)

Naveen,

Its pretty straight forward exercise to migrate your system tables to a new server and there are a number of methods to use. For a detailed text of how to do this go to the MSDN Online support site at Microsoft.Com

The article is called Moving SQL Server 7.0 Databases to a New Location and the article number is Q224071

Hope this helps

Regards
    Rob
    ------------
    sv at 8/30/00 11:08:36 PM

Iam planning to move the production server from one server to another. Can any one tell me how to do the migration of the master,model and msdb database. Help in this regard is highly appreciated.Is it ok if I do the dts for these three databases Thanks
    Naveen.