Thread: xp_sendmail

Rob Guest

xp_sendmail

Hello,

How robust is xp_sendmail? I would like to roll thru 10 - 20 thousand records, strip the email and send a newsletter...

I'm a definite newby when it comes to mail servers (and how they interact with SQL Server 7.0)...so I'm not sure whether this type of processing would crash/stall the server.

can xp_sendmail handle this type of processing?

I appreciate your help,

p.s. can u point me to any good articles on the subject?

xp_sendmail (reply)

mail servers need to be their own entity and at that rate so does your db server.

think about cranking 20 thousand email addresses to your mail server, harmless.

xp_sendmail may start the session and prepare the email but it is not the email server, only the means to talk to it.

only real crunch will be the parsing for email addresses. it does take some time to poll through the inbox to get 20K email addresses. not a job I'd want my server doing, but on a nightly basis I wouldn't be overly concerned.

sounds more like a job for the mail server itself though. you can get pretty fancy with SQL, but sometimes it isn't the best option since it adds alot of work to the server which could be done without as much impact by a client process or a different, dedicated machine.

------------
    Rob at 2/8/00 9:38:07 PM

Hello,

How robust is xp_sendmail? I would like to roll thru 10 - 20 thousand records, strip the email and send a newsletter...

I'm a definite newby when it comes to mail servers (and how they interact with SQL Server 7.0)...so I'm not sure whether this type of processing would crash/stall the server.

can xp_sendmail handle this type of processing?

I appreciate your help,

p.s. can u point me to any good articles on the subject?