Thread: Full msdb log and tembdb

Mattie Pankey Guest

Full msdb log and tembdb

I have two alerts. One is the full msdb log and the other is full tempdb. I am running a full database backup every night because of the size of our database. Can I just dump the msdb log and tempdb? If so how is this accomplished? Thanks!!

Gurukiran Guest

Full msdb log and tembdb (reply)

Which version of SQL Server ? It smells like 6.0 / 6.5. If this is true,

1. You definitely want to schedule regular backups of msdb, which would automatically shrink the log back to zero ( after the dump )

2. If truncate log on checkpoint is set to true in Tempdb, the size may be too small, You may have to increase tempdb size. Or separate the log and data segments onto different devices so that they do not contend for space on the same device.

Check out this article for more information on moving tempdb devices :
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q187/8/24.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Or article ID : Q187824 - INF: How to Move Tempdb to a Different Device
    in the MS KB
    ------------
    Mattie Pankey at 9/12/00 8:46:37 AM

I have two alerts. One is the full msdb log and the other is full tempdb. I am running a full database backup every night because of the size of our database. Can I just dump the msdb log and tempdb? If so how is this accomplished? Thanks!!

Mattie Pankey Guest

I am currently on version 7.0.

------------
    Gurukiran at 9/12/00 10:08:49 AM

1. You definitely want to schedule regular backups of msdb, which would automatically shrink the log back to zero ( after the dump )

2. If truncate log on checkpoint is set to true in Tempdb, the size may be too small, You may have to increase tempdb size. Or separate the log and data segments onto different devices so that they do not contend for space on the same device.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q187/8/24.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

in the MS KB
    ------------

Gurukiran Guest

Shouldn't be hard to fix.

1. Is the auto grow option for the database turned on ? If not, turn it on.

2. Where do your database data / log files sit ? If it is a default installation, you are on %system%mssql7data. You may be running out of disk space on the drive. Check the event log for more information. If yes, move the data / log files to a separate location. Refer Books on line or the MS KB for instructions.

In general, it is a good idea to back up msdb and master on a regular basis.

------------
    Mattie Pankey at 9/12/00 10:40:15 AM

I am currently on version 7.0.

------------
    Gurukiran at 9/12/00 10:08:49 AM

in the MS KB
    ------------