Thread: Need Help Tempdb

Betty Lee Guest

Need Help Tempdb

Hi

I get a message:

Error : 933, Severity: 22, State: 1
    Logical page 258 of the log encountered while retrieving highest timestamp in database 'tempdb' is not the last page of the log and we are not currently recovering that database.

I use sqlserver -T4022 to start my SQL Server since it will not start with out it. When I start sqlserver without the option, it tells me that

Error : 615, Severity: 21, State: 1
    Unable to find database table id = 2, name = 'tempdb'.

I just want my SQL Server back. Please help!

Thanks
    Betty Lee

Craig Guest

Need Help Tempdb (reply)

This might be corrected with a fix pack. What fix pack for SQL are you on? Is your tempdb on its own device or did you create it on its own device? Did you leave the default 2 meg in master or move it?

------------
    Betty Lee at 4/6/00 1:00:34 AM

Hi

I get a message:

Logical page 258 of the log encountered while retrieving highest timestamp in database 'tempdb' is not the last page of the log and we are not currently recovering that database.

I use sqlserver -T4022 to start my SQL Server since it will not start with out it. When I start sqlserver without the option, it tells me that

Thanks
    Betty Lee

Betty Lee Guest

Need Help Tempdb (reply)

Hi Craig

I am so glad you responded. I am on SQL sp3 and NT4.0 SP6. My tempdb is on the default 2 meg in master. I believe that I extended the size of my tempdb some time ago.

Thanks

Betty
    ------------
    Craig at 4/6/00 8:35:04 AM

This might be corrected with a fix pack. What fix pack for SQL are you on? Is your tempdb on its own device or did you create it on its own device? Did you leave the default 2 meg in master or move it?

------------

Hi

I get a message:

Thanks
    Betty Lee

Craig Guest

Need Help Tempdb (reply)

Tecnet reports that the error may be corrected by fix pack 5a for sql server, but you

------------
    Betty Lee at 4/6/00 10:03:51 AM

Hi Craig

I am so glad you responded. I am on SQL sp3 and NT4.0 SP6. My tempdb is on the default 2 meg in master. I believe that I extended the size of my tempdb some time ago.

Thanks

Betty
    ------------

------------

Hi

I get a message:

Thanks
    Betty Lee

Craig Guest

Need Help Tempdb (reply)

Review this:
    PSS ID Number: Q158586
    Article last modified on 04-03-1999

6.0 6.5

WINDOWS

================================================== ====================
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

- Microsoft SQL Server versions 6.0, 6.5
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
    ========

If SQL Server is started so that tempdb is placed in RAM (either by explicitly
    setting the 'tempdb in RAM' option or by starting in a minimal configuration
    mode using the -f parameter at the command line), SQL Server fails to start
    properly if a device with a device name of 'temp_db' already exists.

CAUSE
    =====

When tempdb is placed in RAM, SQL Server first attempts to create a RAM device
    with a logical name of 'temp_db,' and then to create the tempdb database on this
    device. If a device already exists with the name 'temp_db,' the attempt to
    insert an entry into the sysdevices table will fail; thus tempdb cannot be
    created.

The SQL Server errorlog will contain the following sequence of error messages:

Attempt to insert duplicate key row in object 'sysdevices' with unique index
    'sysdevices' (Msg 2601)

crdb_tempdb: Unable to move tempdb into RAM; RAM device doesn't exist, cannot
    be created, or doesn't have enough space for tempdb.

The server will continue through the startup process, and will likely report
    other error messages as well.

If you attempt to use tempdb during startup (for example, in a startup stored
    procedure), the following error messages may be reported and the server will
    fail to start:

Msg 906: Could not locate row in sysobjects for system catalog 'sysobjects'
    in database 'tempdb'....

Msg 615: Unable to find database table id = 2, name = 'tempdb'....

If you attempt to access tempdb after the server is started, the above messages
    will be logged, but the server will not stop.

WORKAROUND
    ==========

In order to start the server, go to a command prompt and navigate to the BINN
    directory where SQL Server was installed (for example, SQL60BINN for SQL Server
    6.0, or MSSQLBINN for SQL Server 6.5). Then use the following command line,
    which is case sensitive, to start SQL Server:

sqlservr -c -m -T3609 -T4022

Please note that the use of -m starts SQL Server in single user mode. After the
    first successful login, any subsequent requests will get a "Login failed"
    message until the first connection has logged out. Make sure that you stop any
    automated processes that may be trying to log in to SQL Server (e.g., SQL
    Executive, Performance Monitor, etc.).

Once SQL Server is started, use ISQL/w to connect to SQL Server. Note that you
    will not be able to use the SQL Enterprise Manager; it is not available with
    these startup parameters (because it uses tempdb). Once connected, use the
    following command to drop the existing device named 'temp_db' so that SQL Server
    can create that device upon startup.

sp_dropdevice 'temp_db'

If any other databases besides tempdb have been expanded onto the device, the
    command will report the names of these databases. These databases will need to
    be dropped, using the DROP DATABASE command, so that the temp_db device can be
    deleted.

If SQL Server still fails to successfully start after following the above steps,
    and tempdb had been explicitly placed in RAM, use the following command to try
    to place tempdb back on disk.

sp_configure 'tempdb in RAM', 0
    reconfigure with override

This should place tempdb back on the default device with the default database
    size (typically 2 MB on master). Stop and restart SQL Server. At this point, you
    will want to drop the device with the name temp_db and create a device with a
    different name and then expand tempdb onto this new device.

Additional query words: sql60 sql65 minimal configuration

================================================== ====================
    Keywords : SSrvAdmin SSrvISQL
    Version : 6.0 6.5
    Platform : WINDOWS
    ================================================== ===========================
    Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1999.

------------
    Betty Lee at 4/6/00 10:03:51 AM

Hi Craig

Thanks

Betty
    ------------

------------

Hi

I get a message:

Thanks
    Betty Lee