Thread: Replication SQL 6.5 to SQL 7

Wain Rankine Guest

Replication SQL 6.5 to SQL 7

Hello I hope someone will be able to help me with a dilema I am currently running an SQL 6.5 environment with bi-directional replication and just recently I change the replication toplogy from publisher subscriber to a publisher remote distributor with the distributor running sql7 and windows 2000.My ultimated goal is to upgrade to SQL 7 on the rest of my servers. what I would like to find out is the best way of doing the upgrade should I upgrade the subscribers first then publishers or the reversal.My second question involves SQL mail on the Distribution server I cannot get it to start no matter what I do. I configured the mail profile uder the mssqlserver account which has local admin rights on the server and is a member of the Domain Admin group I am able to send and receive email from that account and if I run the xp_cmdshell to the exchange server I am able to connect but SQL mail will not start please help....ps thanks in advance

Wainsworth Rankine

Ray Miao Guest

Replication SQL 6.5 to SQL 7 (reply)

1. upgrade publisher first.
    2. do you use same account to start sql agent service? did you create mail profile for the account?

------------
    Wain Rankine at 3/20/00 10:49:25 PM

Hello I hope someone will be able to help me with a dilema I am currently running an SQL 6.5 environment with bi-directional replication and just recently I change the replication toplogy from publisher subscriber to a publisher remote distributor with the distributor running sql7 and windows 2000.My ultimated goal is to upgrade to SQL 7 on the rest of my servers. what I would like to find out is the best way of doing the upgrade should I upgrade the subscribers first then publishers or the reversal.My second question involves SQL mail on the Distribution server I cannot get it to start no matter what I do. I configured the mail profile uder the mssqlserver account which has local admin rights on the server and is a member of the Domain Admin group I am able to send and receive email from that account and if I run the xp_cmdshell to the exchange server I am able to connect but SQL mail will not start please help....ps thanks in advance

Wainsworth Rankine

wain rankine Guest

Replication SQL 6.5 to SQL 7 (reply)

Yes I am using the same user account for both services

------------
    Ray Miao at 3/21/00 8:20:55 AM

1. upgrade publisher first.
    2. do you use same account to start sql agent service? did you create mail profile for the account?

------------
    Wain Rankine at 3/20/00 10:49:25 PM

Wainsworth Rankine