Thread: Automatically growing the database

Tigger Guest

Automatically growing the database

Does anyone know at what point SQL Server 7.0 decides to grow the database when the autogrow option is set? Our site just went down for 45 minutes because the growing process was taking too long as compared to the data coming in, so the device filled up.

Ray? Craig? You guys seem to know all, so jobs.com appreciates your input...

Ray Miao Guest

Automatically growing the database (reply)

It happens any time when sql server needs more space in the db. Try set up growth in fixed amount.

------------
    Tigger at 4/10/00 6:00:37 PM

Does anyone know at what point SQL Server 7.0 decides to grow the database when the autogrow option is set? Our site just went down for 45 minutes because the growing process was taking too long as compared to the data coming in, so the device filled up.

Tigger Guest

It was set to grow in 10% increments, which should have been sufficient. I know that the DB filled up before the grow process completed. What I am looking for is what kicks off that process. Does it start at 90% full, 95? 99? Does anyone know?

------------
    Ray Miao at 4/11/00 9:10:05 AM

It happens any time when sql server needs more space in the db. Try set up growth in fixed amount.

------------

patrick nguyen Guest

I am suprised to hear that database gets filled up while the grow process is running. I would have th
    thought the server puts database on hold while it's running the grow job.

------------
    Tigger at 4/11/00 9:20:49 AM

It was set to grow in 10% increments, which should have been sufficient. I know that the DB filled up before the grow process completed. What I am looking for is what kicks off that process. Does it start at 90% full, 95? 99? Does anyone know?

------------

------------

Tigger Guest

Patrick....thanks for the input, but fortunately that is not the case. Theoretically, there should not even be any locking while the process completes. The table that filled up and took our site down is one that inserts a record into a table every time a unique user comes to the site. This table averages 25000 to 30000 inserts every day. But they are small records. We have 10 web servers calling the SP that does the insert. The auto grow DID work, it just took forever (45 minutes is forever when your entire company is your website).

Tigger

------------
    patrick nguyen at 4/11/00 11:32:11 AM

I am suprised to hear that database gets filled up while the grow process is running. I would have th

------------

------------

------------

patrick nguyen Guest

our appl is similar to yours. What we did is we move records in the table to a backup table in a separate database and this is done on a daily
    basis. Also, we gave the database a lot of space in the beginning so it won;t have to autogrow very often.

------------
    Tigger at 4/11/00 11:55:53 AM

Patrick....thanks for the input, but fortunately that is not the case. Theoretically, there should not even be any locking while the process completes. The table that filled up and took our site down is one that inserts a record into a table every time a unique user comes to the site. This table averages 25000 to 30000 inserts every day. But they are small records. We have 10 web servers calling the SP that does the insert. The auto grow DID work, it just took forever (45 minutes is forever when your entire company is your website).

Tigger

------------

------------

------------

------------

Craig Guest

And if your whole company is your website, it sounds like you need to expand your DASD farm.........

------------
    patrick nguyen at 4/11/00 12:04:45 PM

our appl is similar to yours. What we did is we move records in the table to a backup table in a separate database and this is done on a daily
    basis. Also, we gave the database a lot of space in the beginning so it won;t have to autogrow very often.

------------

Tigger

------------

------------

------------

------------

Tigger Guest

Ah yes, the Uncle Bill (Gates) approach....buy more hardware! Unfortunately, while we spend money like crazy on developers, DBAs, etc, we for some reason are more cautious when spending on disk space at our ISP.

If for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity, I would still like to find out at what point the grow process kicks off. Any ideas where I can find that info, short of calling Microsoft?

------------
    Craig at 4/11/00 2:33:27 PM

And if your whole company is your website, it sounds like you need to expand your DASD farm.........

------------
    patrick nguyen at 4/11/00 12:04:45 PM

------------

Tigger

------------

------------

------------

------------