Thread: Setting up Replication Gives Error 18456 - Please Help

eric gross Guest

Setting up Replication Gives Error 18456 - Please Help

I am using the Configure Publishing and Distribution Wizard in the SQL Server Enterprise Manager to configure a server as a Distribution and Publishing server. The security configuration on the server in question for authentication is SQL Server and Windows NT.

When I get to the first page in the wizard I select that I want to use the server as the Distributor. The other option is to use another server for the Distribution server - and this isn't what I want to do. The next page presents the option to use the default settings to configure the distribution databases or to configure the setup. If I select the default options I get the following error message when the arrow is pointing to Configuring Distributor:

----------------------------------------------
    SQL Server Enterprise Manager could not configure 'SERVER1' as the Distributor for

'SERVER1'.

Error 18456: Login failed for user 'sa'.
    Remote logins for remote server 'repl_distributor' have been dropped.
    Server dropped.
    Server added.
    Server network name set.

Something I have tried to change in order to fix this issue is the 'Replication agents on the Distributor log into the Publisher:' option from its default (By impersontating the SQL Agent account on 'SERVER1' (trusted connection)) to 'Using SQL Server Authentication of this account:', and in those fields I have put in 'sa' (which is a valid admin account to the SQL server) and the correct password.

In all cases I get the message above. Can anyone help me to see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your time,
    Eric Gross

Harsh Guest

Setting up Replication Gives Error 18456 - Please Help (reply)

Make sure that SQLServerAgent and MSSQLService are using the same accounts. In Enterprise Manager, right click on Server1 and select the approprita tab for account used by above services and re-type the user-name and password.

Also you must be logged in to the SQL Server as a member of sysadmin account and member of the Windows NT Administrators group.

I am not sure but for the distributor properties or publisher properties which can be viewed by clicking on the box with three dots, use SQL Server Authenthication and type in sa for user name and password of sa account.

Give it a try.

------------
    eric gross at 2/29/00 5:01:12 PM

I am using the Configure Publishing and Distribution Wizard in the SQL Server Enterprise Manager to configure a server as a Distribution and Publishing server. The security configuration on the server in question for authentication is SQL Server and Windows NT.

When I get to the first page in the wizard I select that I want to use the server as the Distributor. The other option is to use another server for the Distribution server - and this isn't what I want to do. The next page presents the option to use the default settings to configure the distribution databases or to configure the setup. If I select the default options I get the following error message when the arrow is pointing to Configuring Distributor:

SQL Server Enterprise Manager could not configure 'SERVER1' as the Distributor for

'SERVER1'.

Error 18456: Login failed for user 'sa'.
    Remote logins for remote server 'repl_distributor' have been dropped.
    Server dropped.
    Server added.
    Server network name set.

Something I have tried to change in order to fix this issue is the 'Replication agents on the Distributor log into the Publisher:' option from its default (By impersontating the SQL Agent account on 'SERVER1' (trusted connection)) to 'Using SQL Server Authentication of this account:', and in those fields I have put in 'sa' (which is a valid admin account to the SQL server) and the correct password.

In all cases I get the message above. Can anyone help me to see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your time,
    Eric Gross