We have set up linked servers and run distributed transactions across servers. We have been getting error message on a few of the tables
that we run a querry on, and this seems to occur only when the table has been altered dropping a column.

example table
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[jatest2] (
[col1] [char] (10) NULL ,
[col2] [char] (10) NULL,
[col3] [int] NULL)

alter statement
alter table jatest2 drop column col2

example querry (select * from server.db.owner.table)

Server: Msg 7353, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' supplied inconsistent metadata. An extra column was supplied during execution that was not found at compile time.

If I run the same select statement directy on the server were the table resides I receive a correct result set. When I view the table information.schema.columns
I can see that it has acknowledge the change in the table structure and so has syscolumns. On the column that has been dropped in
information.schema.columns the ordinal_number has been removed for col2 and in syscolumn the column_id is now been removed for col2. If I update
the system table syscolumns and change col3 to col2 it changes the view and the select statement will work both remotely and through the distributed query.

information.schema.columns
TABLE_CATALOG TABLE_SCHEMA TABLE_NAME COLUMN_NAME ORDINAL_POSITION COLUMN_DEFAULT IS_NULLABLE DATA_TYPE
camp dbo jatest2 col1 1 NULL
camp dbo jatest2 col3 2 NULL

syscolumns
name id xtype typestat xusertype length xprec xscale colid xoffset bitpos reserved colstat cdefault domain number colorder autoval
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------- ----- -------- --------- ------ ----- ------ ------ ------- ------ -------- ------- ----------- -----
col1 1937350612 175 2 175 10 0 0 1 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 NULL
col3 1937350612 56 0 56 4 10 0 3 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 NULL

Has anyone experienced this problem when running distributed transaction or know of a solution? Any suggestion would be appreciated