Thread: Optimizing question

Armick Guest

Optimizing question

Hi all,

I have a question in regards to optimistic locking:

I have a database conversion that will be running on a SQL 7.0 system. The process needs to be completed ASAP and to this end, I have tried to set up all aspects of the server to be geared towards speed rather than redundancy for the duration of the process (i.e. moving heavily used tables to separate filegroups on a RAID 0 set, dedicating a separate disk for the database log). I was now looking at trying to tweak locking behaviour to enhance performance (as for the duration of the conversion, no other user will be connecting to the database - the only initator of data changes will be the conversion application, which feeds statements serially to the server). As far as I know changing lock settings is something that would be initiated by the application itself, but is there any property I can set on the server to further enhance performance in this area?

Thanks
    A

Kurt Shull Guest

Optimizing question (reply)

Is this a one time conversion? If it is, why spend so much time trying to tweak performance? Other than moving log files to a seperate disk, SQL 7.0 does a great job (performance wise, that is). Filegroups are not necessarily going to get you better performance. Using them requires careful planning and a knowledge of the support complexity their use introduces. Depending on the type of conversion your running, changing the locking behavior is unnecessary too because you are running this is Single-User mode. Locking problems come into play when you have more than one user (or connections) attempting to update the same rows. That doesn't sound like you case.

If you are going to be making multiple

------------
    Armick at 7/15/00 1:37:25 PM

Hi all,

I have a question in regards to optimistic locking:

I have a database conversion that will be running on a SQL 7.0 system. The process needs to be completed ASAP and to this end, I have tried to set up all aspects of the server to be geared towards speed rather than redundancy for the duration of the process (i.e. moving heavily used tables to separate filegroups on a RAID 0 set, dedicating a separate disk for the database log). I was now looking at trying to tweak locking behaviour to enhance performance (as for the duration of the conversion, no other user will be connecting to the database - the only initator of data changes will be the conversion application, which feeds statements serially to the server). As far as I know changing lock settings is something that would be initiated by the application itself, but is there any property I can set on the server to further enhance performance in this area?

Thanks
    A