Thread: Use 1 or 2 Databases?

Denise Guest

Use 1 or 2 Databases?

Hello,

I’m using VB6 as the client and MS SQL Server 7 as the database. The company I’m consulting for has a proven track record for marketing and getting millions of customers. The parent company would like to create two new companies selling the same product; with 1 million customers per company. How many records can MS SQL Server 7 handle? I’ve been told it can handle 4 terabytes. What does 4 terabytes translate into records? I have already set up an application for company #1. Should I put company #2 in the same MS SQL Server database? Or should I put company #2 in a different database? My VB Application and SQL Server database were designed to handle multiple companies selling the same product. For performance sake; would it be better to separate the databases? Any suggestions? Is anyone currently using MS SQL Server with 2 or more million records?

Thanks,
    Denise

Manoj Thakkar Guest

Use 1 or 2 Databases? (reply)

Hi

I am using the MS Sql 7.0 Database as my Back End. I am having 2 to 3 tables which are having
    atleast 8 to 10 millions records per table. & Till date we do not have any problem to process
    the query or generating reports from the database.

Manoj Thakkar

------------
    Denise at 7/16/00 10:37:50 AM

Hello,

I’m using VB6 as the client and MS SQL Server 7 as the database. The company I’m consulting for has a proven track record for marketing and getting millions of customers. The parent company would like to create two new companies selling the same product; with 1 million customers per company. How many records can MS SQL Server 7 handle? I’ve been told it can handle 4 terabytes. What does 4 terabytes translate into records? I have already set up an application for company #1. Should I put company #2 in the same MS SQL Server database? Or should I put company #2 in a different database? My VB Application and SQL Server database were designed to handle multiple companies selling the same product. For performance sake; would it be better to separate the databases? Any suggestions? Is anyone currently using MS SQL Server with 2 or more million records?

Thanks,
    Denise

Denise Guest

Use 1 or 2 Databases? (reply)

Hello Manoj,

Thanks for the information. What is the size of your database?

Thanks,
    Denise

------------
    Manoj Thakkar at 7/16/00 2:13:00 PM

Hi

I am using the MS Sql 7.0 Database as my Back End. I am having 2 to 3 tables which are having
    atleast 8 to 10 millions records per table. & Till date we do not have any problem to process
    the query or generating reports from the database.

Manoj Thakkar

------------
    Denise at 7/16/00 10:37:50 AM

Hello,

Thanks,
    Denise