Thread: SQL 6.5 Cluster Upgrade to SQL Server 7.0 Cluster

jack Guest

SQL 6.5 Cluster Upgrade to SQL Server 7.0 Cluster

I am trying to upgrade a SQL Server 6.5(Cluster) to SQL Serevr 7.0 (Cluster)..I already have an intsllation of 7.0(On a Cluster),so this means that 6.5 and sql 7 are on seperate cluster's ,if i try to upgrade from 6.5 Cluster to 7.0 Cluster is asks me to uncluster 6.5 and 7.0 is this correct ,assume i cannot break the cluster then what???.. what is the best way i can achieve this functinality.....

thanks in advance

Jack

Karl Guest

SQL 6.5 Cluster Upgrade to SQL Server 7.0 Cluster (reply)

You don't need to break the cluster to upgrade. You just need to remove SQL Server clustering on both nodes. Obviously, this does mean that if your primary node fails when performing the upgrade you don't get any failover support. So I suggest you do this at the quietest period of the day. Or better still, move the database to a standby server whilst you upgrade the cluster(if you have the resources).

There is a useful white paper on clustering SQL Server 7.0 at http://www.microsoft.com/SQL/techinfo/Cluster.htm

Although there isn't a great deal on upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0 on a cluster, there is mention of it in the appendix.

Hope this helps,

Karl

------------
    jack at 7/17/00 1:20:28 PM

I am trying to upgrade a SQL Server 6.5(Cluster) to SQL Serevr 7.0 (Cluster)..I already have an intsllation of 7.0(On a Cluster),so this means that 6.5 and sql 7 are on seperate cluster's ,if i try to upgrade from 6.5 Cluster to 7.0 Cluster is asks me to uncluster 6.5 and 7.0 is this correct ,assume i cannot break the cluster then what???.. what is the best way i can achieve this functinality.....

thanks in advance

Jack