Thread: Newbie Q's Please Help

meltdown Guest

Newbie Q's Please Help

1 Hi, I'm a complete newbie at this, and need some help I want to import a text file into a DB. I know how to set it up in the DTS, however when I check the DB each line from the text file is in a seperate row. What have I missed? I want the file just in one row, like its a memo.

2 What do I use to connect to a SQL DB on the web so i can see the DB and all the tables

3 Also if I want to add data to a DB is that done on the server, or do I change my copy of the DB and re-upload

Thanks for any help
    Meltdown

MAK Guest

Newbie Q's Please Help (reply)

1. Use TEXTCOPY.exe (external command) for importing text file into a single column (Image column) .
    or
    import in to a temp table and use cursor to do a string concantenation.

2. u should use Client.[EM]. If u wanna access thru web use ODBC connection and ASP/java/coldfusion/whatever as frontend to access db.
    See www.asp101.com

3. I really dont understand. But. to add data u can use "Insert statement"

-MAK

------------
    meltdown at 5/8/01 5:44:46 PM

1 Hi, I'm a complete newbie at this, and need some help I want to import a text file into a DB. I know how to set it up in the DTS, however when I check the DB each line from the text file is in a seperate row. What have I missed? I want the file just in one row, like its a memo.

2 What do I use to connect to a SQL DB on the web so i can see the DB and all the tables

3 Also if I want to add data to a DB is that done on the server, or do I change my copy of the DB and re-upload

Thanks for any help
    Meltdown

Meltdown Guest

Newbie Q's Please Help (reply)

MAK, thanks a lot for your help.

Meltdown

------------
    MAK at 5/9/01 10:24:52 AM

1. Use TEXTCOPY.exe (external command) for importing text file into a single column (Image column) .
    or
    import in to a temp table and use cursor to do a string concantenation.

2. u should use Client.[EM]. If u wanna access thru web use ODBC connection and ASP/java/coldfusion/whatever as frontend to access db.
    See www.asp101.com

3. I really dont understand. But. to add data u can use "Insert statement"

-MAK

------------
    meltdown at 5/8/01 5:44:46 PM

Thanks for any help
    Meltdown