Thread: Transferring Database

Kwan Guest

Transferring Database

Hi !

Currently I need to transfer existing database to another server. Unfortunately, after restoring all database file, user information is not available. It is stored in Master database.

I would like to know how can I transfer user login, database access, store procedures to another server ?

Please advise. Thanks !

JC Guest

Transferring Database (reply)

create a script of all that stuff on the original database and run it on your new server.

Hope this helps
    JC

------------
    Kwan at 3/23/01 3:49:49 AM

Hi !

Currently I need to transfer existing database to another server. Unfortunately, after restoring all database file, user information is not available. It is stored in Master database.

I would like to know how can I transfer user login, database access, store procedures to another server ?

Please advise. Thanks !

Chakri Guest

The sysusers table in the database holds the DB user information. But, when you restore the database to a different server, the corresponding SQL login does not exists in this server. sp_change_users_login with 'auto_fix' option, can create the SQL login automatically.

------------
    JC at 3/23/01 5:59:57 AM

create a script of all that stuff on the original database and run it on your new server.

Hope this helps
    JC

------------

Hi !

Please advise. Thanks !

Jeff Putnam Guest

Alternatively, useing a DTS Transfer SQL objects task will do the job.

------------
    Chakri at 3/23/01 9:13:00 AM

The sysusers table in the database holds the DB user information. But, when you restore the database to a different server, the corresponding SQL login does not exists in this server. sp_change_users_login with 'auto_fix' option, can create the SQL login automatically.

------------
    JC at 3/23/01 5:59:57 AM

Hope this helps
    JC

------------

Hi !

Please advise. Thanks !