Thread: Max size of 8060 problem

Nathan Guest

Max size of 8060 problem

Hi,

We are uploading data from Excel into SQL . Two columns can have data which is of 3000 varchar size. When using DTS , it says if my record length is > 8060 , it aborts . Can this be modified . What is the limitation

Markus Guest

Max size of 8060 problem (reply)

The limitation is 8060 bytes per row and if your using merge replication it's only 6000 bytes. What you can do is store these long char fields as text or image data or split the table so that it fit's into the limit.

------------
    Nathan at 3/23/01 3:38:45 AM

Hi,

We are uploading data from Excel into SQL . Two columns can have data which is of 3000 varchar size. When using DTS , it says if my record length is > 8060 , it aborts . Can this be modified . What is the limitation

Paul Guest

No fraid not. Maximum row length is 8060 regardless of number of fields.

------------

Hi,

anand Guest

Hi Paul & MArcus , thanks for the replies, I was wondering how to use text data . Can I read the text again into a colum of excel . Can DTS handle this if I use Text. I tried and couldnt see the data , it was stored as <long-Text>. I am new and dont know how to use this data type . Any help will be appreciated. Thanks once again.

------------
    Paul at 3/23/01 7:53:05 AM

No fraid not. Maximum row length is 8060 regardless of number of fields.

------------

Hi,