Thread: SQLServerAgent not starting

Patricia Rotman Guest

SQLServerAgent not starting

When my system re-boots SQLServerAgent will no longer start. The following message is sent to the NT Event Log:

(Event ID 103) "SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server; SQLServerAgent cannot start)."

Following this message are two messages from MSSQLServer that read:

(Event ID 19020) "RPC Net-Library listening on: ncalrpc:USBGRSYSTST1[WMSG0000009A.00000001]."

So is this a timing issues? Is MSSQLServer taking too long to completely start before SQLServerAgent is started? If so, is there a way (without hacking through the registry) to make the SQLServerAgent service dependant on the MSSQLServer service?

This startup issue did not exist until an application was installed on the machine that also has several services that auto-start. I noticed that many of these new services are starting at the same time the MSSQLServer service is starting.

Any asssistance would be most appreciated.

Dale Shaw Guest

SQLServerAgent not starting (reply)

Hello again!

I would suggest that there is a security issue. Try setting the SQL agent to 'start as' the system account. Does it work now? If not, you have a serious security problem. If it does work then you just need to check:

The account you were using has not expired, been locked, requires a password change etc and that account is still a member of the local admins group. Easiest test? Try logging in as that user and see if you can see the 'Shutdown Server' button....

Dale

Patricia Rotman Guest

SQLServerAgent not starting (reply)

No, it's not a security issue. After SQLServerAgent fails to start during system startup, it can be started manually. It appears to be a timing issue (MSSQLServer is not completely started when SQLServerAgent is trying to start), and I am just trying to figure out the safest and most reliable way to address that timing issue.

------------
    Dale Shaw at 3/15/01 8:53:59 PM

Hello again!

I would suggest that there is a security issue. Try setting the SQL agent to 'start as' the system account. Does it work now? If not, you have a serious security problem. If it does work then you just need to check:

The account you were using has not expired, been locked, requires a password change etc and that account is still a member of the local admins group. Easiest test? Try logging in as that user and see if you can see the 'Shutdown Server' button....

Dale